Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1966 Ludwig Downbeat Piccolo brought back to life

Back in April Rob, aka Human71 had posted a 1966 Ludwig Downbeat Piccolo snare in WMP up for sale on the forum. I reached out and we eventually traded for a Ludwig Pioneer snare that was just sitting in my collection.

I have finally finished making the “adjustments” to the snare and wanted to share the project with everyone. I still am searching for a replacement for the broken piccolo lug and one tension rod but at this point the drum will be used and will have to wait for the parts.

I was able to repair the reamed-out badge hole, re-painted the interior, and showed some attention to the wrap that was very yellow. I also changed out the hoops for cast ones, I am looking for same period ones and will trade them back once I get them but I thought it still looked great with this type of hoop. I knew it would need all of this when I got it from Rob and was excited to take on the project.

I also know from feedback to my questions that many collectors keep their drums “aged” but I thought this one needed to be brought back to life.

A shout out and thanks to MLayton, Clayton, Kenwood, Oddball, SlingerLynn and many many more VDG members for your input and assistance to my never-ending questions when I was working on this.

Below are some pictures of the project

Enjoy !

Michael

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

20's Leedy Black Elite
Posted on 7 years ago

That is a beautiful restoration...well done! I've always preferred whiter WMP over aged. I don't mind a little yellowing as long as it's evenly distributed over the wrap's surface, but the darker it gets the more it looks like it sat in a smoking lounge for eons. Nothing pops like white WMP.

Vintage kits:
1969 Rogers Holiday - black diamond pearl (20/16/13/12)
196x Star (Lyra/Majestic) - blue sparkle pearl (22/14/13) Restoration Project
1987 Pearl KC-3500 - jet black (22/16/13/12)
Not-so-vintage kits:
2007 Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 e-kit / Roland TDW-20
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 87 Pearl 6.5x14 steel
Posted on 7 years ago

Great job Michael! Looks just right.

Posted on 7 years ago

Awesome job. Those hoops look "right" on there and I bet the rim shots are like gun shots!

I restored one of these decades ago for my drum teacher. That one was black lacquer. It came out great and then he wouldn't sell it to me... I've been looking for one ever since (at a reasonable price). I considered having Precision or Montineri make me a replica but I don't get to play anymore so it's somewhat moot.

Enjoy! That's like a time machine job!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

Nice work and beautiful drum. How did you manage to get that wrap restored?

Posted on 7 years ago

Hey Dan,

I used the Clorox Soft Scrub and Lacquer Thinner mix method followed by Novus 2 and 1 then a caranuba wax. Took a bit of elbow grease on this one compared to my post where I used a variety of methods for WMP. Still need to get back to that drum to try and test out the Oxy clean Peroxide method. This drum and a few others had me side tracked.

Thanks J!m

I may keep them on because they look so cool and your right, rim shots sound like a firecracker going off.

Michael

20's Leedy Black Elite
Posted on 7 years ago

Beautiful restoration and a very cool snare drum. Great job!

Thanks for sharing.

Posted on 7 years ago

Hi Michael ! All i can say is , WOW !! Fantastic job on the snare drum..

It doesn't even look like the same one.. Lol ! The Cast hoops are a super nice touch,and

as J!M pointed out, the crack on it must be like gunshot ! Glad you enjoyed the snare drum !

Cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here