Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1966 Ludwig Club Date Burgundy Mist Metalic Lacquer!!

so here it is ladies and gentlemen. been off the forum for a while (newborn in the house). but i think this one is pretty special so i thought you all might be interested. i just scored and started restoring a 1966 ludwig club date set in super rare burgundy mist metallic lacquer. i've only seen a few lacquered kits and never one in this finish. the same bmm on fender guitars of the same era. i bought it from the dude who special ordered it when he was a teenager. 12/14/20. gold inlays on the kick hoops. white ball bat mufflers. nickel hardware. there's also a 13 that the dude ordered as an add on in '68. it's a bit different, round muffler, chrome not nickel, and it came with a natural interior instead of white resocoat. he spray painted the inside of the 13 at some point in a poor attempt to match the others and it looks a bit janky. i'm gonna try to strip it and try to match the resocoat, but i'm not too worried about the 13 because it's an add on and i just look at it as a bonus. whole kit complete is complete. missing 1 t-rod from the 12 and 2 t-rods from the 14, otherwise all original. the only thing keeping this thing from being a museum piece is that when the guy ordered the 13 he also had a diamond tom mount plate for a double tom arm installed to hold both toms. kind of a bummer but i'm a player not a collector anyway and i'm sure this thing will get some use with my backline rental company. and the bearing edges on this kit are probably the best i've ever seen on a kit this old. obviously always had both heads on. any body ever seen one of these? here are some pics, just got the shells cleaned up, getting ready to do the hardware. just used a mild guitar polish on the shells because they have a very guitar like finish. these are gonna be sweet when they are done. hope i can keep them but i might have to sell them with the newborn around and all. i already own way too many kits......either way, it's gonna be a fun project. i'll try to keep progress posted.

2 attachments
yes, have some.
Posted on 15 years ago

oh yeah, and did i mention it came with a COB superphonicClapping Happy2Clapping Happy2Clapping Happy2. and yes i'm keeping that for sure.

yes, have some.
Posted on 15 years ago

Wow, neat! Especially the snare! Pity about the tree. I really don't think I've ever seen drums in that finish. One of my bass playing friends has that finish on one of his guitars. I think it's on one of his Precision's, could be wrong, though.

fishwaltz
Posted on 15 years ago

it would make sense for it to be on a fender p bass. all those fender custom colors were essentially just the automotive paint colors available at the time. Burgundy mist metallic was one of the more rare colors that people ordered. i got into vintage fender offsets for a while and have a '59 jazzmaster that suffered a bad refin at the hands of some hack who had it before me. been thinking of having it done properly in burgundy mist metallic for a while so i was stoked when i found this kit. i wish i could get it to show up in photos. it's pretty cool looking. and i think there's some validity to the fact that these drums will sound more open because they are lacquered not wrapped.

yes, have some.
Posted on 15 years ago

Are you sue thats original?

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

yes i'm sure. the badges are tight and obviously untampered. and the bearing edges, you can see how the paint interacts with the seams of the laminate and how they were built, and how the undercoat is worn at the bearing edge, it would be impossible to fake, and the paint is checked like it should be for being 40 years old (i have restored several fender guitars from the same era with similar paint and i know what it looks like, the biggest difference is that the ludwig finishes don't have as many clear coats as the fender finishes, but they still yellow and check the same, etc.) it's legit. and i know the guy that i bought it from and he ordered it that way in 66, then the 13" tom in 68. it's not unheard of for people to have ordered a lacquered kit, it's just rare. but if you saw it in person, you wouldn't doubt it.

yes, have some.
Posted on 15 years ago

I've never seen anything like it on a ludwig. Beautiful!Cool1

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here