Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

1966 Ludwig Auditorium Snare

Hi guys, long time reader, first post. I was at a flea market and got an AMAZING deal on two 60's ludwig snares. For $40(I actually talked him down from $50, believe it or not), I got one 1969 10x14 ludwig "parade" (marching) snare in blue sparkle, and one 1966 6.5x14 ludwig "auditorium" in a dark brown natural mahogany. I know, completely ridiculous deal given that theres no real pitting, and everythings in great working condition. I may sell the parade, but the "auditorium" sounds killer and I'll likely just keep it for use. I'm wondering what would be the best products, etc. to use to clean them without devaluing them. On the auditorium specifically, as the lugs and rims have a darker, less polished color to them than the regular chrome. Not sure what metal it is but I didn't want to risk any kind of damage. Anybody know what metal this is, and what I should be using to clean it, or if I should clean it at all? It would be nice to make it look refreshed, but I really don't want to hurt the value or sound in any way. I've put some pictures of the auditorium snare, and a page from an old catalog that I am fairly sure is it. I'll try to get some good shots of the parade and put it up too. Thanks guys, love the site, all the info, and the sexy, sexy galleries.

-Miles

[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x120/myzuno/drums/IMG_0909.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x120/myzuno/drums/IMG_0908.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x120/myzuno/drums/IMG_0906.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x120/myzuno/drums/1966_LUDWIG_SNARES7.jpg[/IMG]

"I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way."
-Buddy Rich
Posted on 14 years ago

The metal is highly tarnished nickel silver. The rest is highly rusted steel!

All metal pieces should be taken off the drum and thoroughly cleaned separately.

The rust should be cleaned from the steel parts (lug screws and throwoff and butt). I use WD-40 and a small brass bristle brush (say that five times fast).

I Googled "How to clean nickel" and found this:

Wash the item with a mild detergent in warm water. Rinse thoroughly and dry with a soft lint-free cloth.

For stubborn stains you can make a paste of baking soda and water. Place the baking soda in a plastic container and add just enough water to make the paste. Cover the item with the paste and allow to dry. Run under warm water and buff dry with a soft-lint free cloth.

Use a commercial silver cleaning polish on silver and nickel if the baking soda paste does not remove the stain or tarnish. Apply and use according to package directions. Dry thoroughly and buff with a soft cloth.

Use Sunshine polishing cloths on all three metals if they just need to be cleaned and polished. This product contains non-toxic chemicals that will not scratch the metals, it will remove mild tarnish from silver, and leaves a nice shine after buffing.

Cover heavily stained nickel or nickel silver in a bath of one part ammonia to three parts water. Use a deep plastic container for the bath that is deep enough to completely submerge the item. Allow to soak for half an hour before removing. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and dry with a soft cloth.

Read more: How To Clean Nickel or Silver | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5210485_clean-nickel-silver.html#ixzz10tXrAQjq

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

thanks a lot. What about for the shell? Its a natural finish, but has a shine to it like it may have laquer or polyeurethane or something over it. Whats best for cleaning it? also are you fairly sure I have the right model there? I'm gonna try to get up some pics of the parade snare too. It's got a throw off with no switch, it just loosens and tightens with twisting. Very wierd.

"I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way."
-Buddy Rich
Posted on 14 years ago

I have a 5 1/2 inch Ludwig shell with the identical finish. I just touched up any scratches with a furniture "scratch removal marker" (they're like a marking pen in shades of mahogany, oak, etc.) and then put on a couple of coats of Minwax Furniture Wax. Looks beautiful.

For rust removal I highly recommend EVAPO-RUST available at Auto Zone. Follow the instructions...it works amazing. There are also many other products and methods of rust removal on this site...just search "rust".

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Hey, it looks like you got it for about half the catalog price....

Good find!

;-)

Posted on 14 years ago

For the shell,put 1-2 Tbs of paste wax in some cheese cloth.....tie in a ball.......apply to shell.......let dry 5 minutes.......then buff with 100% cotton cloth........

I learned that from a guy who restores VERY expensive furniture!

Works great.............

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here