Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

1966 Ludwig 20" kick and 13 " Tom

Greetings, I just picked up a 1966 20' kick, 13" Tom....Gold Sparkle. Keystone Badge, # 346680 on bass, tom badge is missing. As far as I can tell the wrap on bass is original, tom has been re-wrapped but they match. The interiors are white. Hoops are in decent condition. My question is, can and should the interiors be repainted? Their condition is dirty but not terrible, there are a few bald spots near the edges. I will try to get some pictures up.

Thanks,

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Berthold Auerbach
Posted on 10 years ago

I always vote for no on repainting the interiors. I think that when you do, it opens up to many questions about the originality of the rest of the drum. that's just my opinion though.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

First Picture

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Keystone Badge: I noticed the slight crease in the badge, I'm wondering if both the kick and tom were re wrapped? Would removing the badge incorrectly cause this type of crease? Thanks.

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks Mike, I agree but I wonder because of the missing floor tom and missing badge from the rack tom, would any other alterations make that much of a difference? I now believe both drums have been re wrapped. Though whom ever did it did a decent job. The muffler for the rack tom is also missing and the wrap is covering the hole. I am considering getting a new muffler and badge. Thoughts anyone? Thanks...Not to good with the camera, I hope the pics help.

Posted on 10 years ago

From denzodennis

Keystone Badge: I noticed the slight crease in the badge, I'm wondering if both the kick and tom were re wrapped? Would removing the badge incorrectly cause this type of crease? Thanks.

Yes! The inside part of the grommet is not perfectly round. Somebody removed and reinstalled it. I would ''guess'' the drum is a re-wrap based on the distortions of both the badge and the inside of the grommet.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Look to see if the wrap continues under the lap of the shell plys. Ludwig installed the wrap on the ply wood and then formed the shells.

Look down on the bearing edge and follow the wrap around the shell. It should end with the wrap under the lap joint. If it's re-wrapped, you will see where there is still original wrap that was cut. This will be the sure way to tell if the shells were re-wrapped. Even if it looks like the badges were removed, the shells could still have the original wrap.

-Tim

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks Tim, I will do that...Thanks John for seconding my guess. I continue to learn much from you all. Thanks! John, I just noticed you're not to far from me. I'm located just off the PA Turnpike, Ft. Washington exchange.

Posted on 10 years ago

That's extit 26 right? If so, it puts you just north of Philly and a tad over an hour driving time to Reading. I'm north of the Morgantown exit (298) in a suburb that sits south-west of the city of Reading. If you're ever out my way, pm me and we'll set up a meeting. The only time I'm out your way is when we go to the Delaware Drum Show in Newark, Del. They have two drum shows a year. Maybe we can meet there next show!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Exit 26 , you are correct! now known as Exit 339...would love to attend the drum show...I do occasionally get up your way but not as often as I once did. I will pm you next time. Thanks!

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here