Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

1966 Leedy Shelly Manne Outfit #11 in Grey Agate Pearl

Cool set Mark. I really dig those Leedys and I'm a fan of that finish too.

I had one and sold it. Seldom regret a sale, but this one should have been a keeper. I was preparing for overseas work and eventual sale of my home in MA, so it was a more forced than desired sale. I got the set from the Drum Farm and the snare from a guy in England. The bass had 20 lugs, which was unusual for a 14x20.

I keep my eyes out for it or a suitable replacement nowadays.

2 attachments
Posted on 7 years ago

That was my Leedy set that I traded to Bobby at Drum Farm. The 14x20 bass drum with 20 lugs was, indeed, unusual. I must be getting old because I'm still trying to remember what I got in return for this drum set. I've had several trade transactions with Bobby. Every one was a pleasure. He's in business with drum trades, and I am a hobbyist. So, I go in to every trade with my eyes wide open. He'll usually end up with one or two more drums than I get out of the trade. Or, I might include a nice Zildjian cymbal that I had acquired in a previous transaction with someone else.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 7 years ago

Cool knowing that leedybdp. I wish I had known it when I had them. I must have done a trade too, at least in part. What was the history prior to you trading them in?

Here's hoping markrocks68 holds onto his and doesn't make the regrettable mistake we both made!

Posted on 7 years ago

I remember seeing the drums on eBay when I was still in my acquisition phase. I am fond of Satin Flame drums and Leedy drums. How could i resist buying them?

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 7 years ago

Mark - Killer addition to the collection. First time I've seen black onyx on a Leedy kit! Beautiful drum set. Enjoy

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 7 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

Mark - Killer addition to the collection. First time I've seen black onyx on a Leedy kit! Beautiful drum set. EnjoyJohn

Thanks John!

On the Leedys they call it Grey Agate Pearl.

Yes, I'll be hanging onto this one at least until I buy my next home. Whenever that may be!

Posted on 7 years ago

From markrocks68

Thanks John!On the Leedys they call it Grey Agate Pearl.Yes, I'll be hanging onto this one at least until I buy my next home. Whenever that may be!

Careful what you say Mark, I sold a sports car once to get our first home!

Posted on 7 years ago

From Dan Boucher

Careful what you say Mark, I sold a sports car once to get our first home!

sacrifices might be made for the dream home with the drum room ;-)

Posted on 7 years ago

From leedybdp

I also have a Pink Glass Glitter Shelly Manne snare that is estimated to be from 1958 or 1959 because of the badge and that wrap being limited to those years.

leedybdp, that brass badge predates 1958. '58 and newer badges are blue. Pink sparkle pearl wrap was available well into the 60's and perhaps before '58. Cool drum.

edit 12/2022: New evidence suggests the brass badge was used into early '58 during a transition to the blue badge. '58 is generally considered the first year for the "Shelly Manne" model snare.

Posted on 7 years ago

From markrocks68

sacrifices might be made for the dream home with the drum room ;-)

You've got me grinning on that one!

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here