Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

1965 Slingerland Restoration?

I have a 1965 Slingerland 4 pc set with White Satin Flame wrap. It is all original and was my Dad's set who purchased it new. He even gave me the original bill of sale. This set has been gigged quite a bit and has been well taken care of, but is not perfect. The wraps are a little faded. Also have cymbal stands and Snare is wrapped in same wrap. Original bottom heads are on it as well.

Should I restore/replace the wrap or leave it in is original condition to maximize its value? With that any idea of value of this kit? I am also considering adding a 16in floor tom to this so that I can gig it also - hence another reason for re wrapping it. Any thoughts or opinions on this would be appreciated and welcomed.

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Thoughts and opinions ...

Well, it's not my kit, but if it were ...

I would never ever ever consider pulling the wrap off such a special kit.

That drum kit would be restored as best I could and I would cherish it.

The value of the kit would be priceless. It was dad's kit. Selling it would be out of the question. Period.

What Would You Do
Posted on 12 years ago

+1 to what RogerSling said! These are too special to change. Clean them up and enjoy them.

Posted on 12 years ago

Clean 'em up, grow chops like in the pic, and play them daily! The Band

Posted on 12 years ago

+2 on what RogerSling said...Keep it original and clean it up the best you can...I think if you remove the wrap, you will regret it later...

My 2 cents though...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

From Greg Roach

I have a 1965 Slingerland 4 pc set with White Satin Flame wrap. It is all original and was my Dad's set who purchased it new. He even gave me the original bill of sale. This set has been gigged quite a bit and has been well taken care of, but is not perfect. The wraps are a little faded. Also have cymbal stands and Snare is wrapped in same wrap. Original bottom heads are on it as well.Should I restore/replace the wrap or leave it in is original condition to maximize its value? With that any idea of value of this kit? I am also considering adding a 16in floor tom to this so that I can gig it also - hence another reason for re wrapping it. Any thoughts or opinions on this would be appreciated and welcomed.

What size is that mounted tom?

I have some 12" Slingy rims here........

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 12 years ago

+3 on what RogerSling said. Fix it, clean it, wax it, play it!

If there isn't any damage, then don't touch that wrap. Try to find an original White Satin Flame 16" floor tom. If you can't, then find an orphan 16" Slingerland floor tom and re-wrap it.

http://www.jamminsam.com/index.php/drum-wraps/5-satin-drum-wraps/107-white-satin-flame-on-drums.html

or

http://www.precisiondrum.com/html/body_wrap.html#satinflame

You are very lucky to have your dad's set. Good luck and keep us posted.

- Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

White satin flame is one of the coolest wraps when on stage! Clean it and play it

Posted on 12 years ago

Nothing new to add. Just another vote to clean them up and play them as is. Those are incredibly cool drums in very desirable sizes and finish. And great personal history to boot. Congratulations.

60's Gretsch Round Badge 22/13/16
'71 Ludwig B/O Badge 20/12/13/14/16
'72 Ludwig B/O Badge Jazzette 18/12/14
'65 Rogers Holiday 20/12/16
Posted on 12 years ago

+4

My father had a slingerland set , that I don't even remember,

I was too young, but my older brother told me about it.

If I would still have those , I would never sell them.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here