Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

1965 Slingerland Floor tom

I went back to the guy I got the Champagne Sparkle set from to get the other 9"x13" tom that matched the set. It is a hair out of round but beautiful and cleaned up to match the set perfectly. When I put heads and rims on it will be fine I believe. Ended up getting some odds and ends and he showed me this 16'x16" Slingerland floor tom. It was also Champagne Sparkle. It was really filthy. Cleaning it now. Removed the heads and it had a date stamp of Oct 22 1965. It is only missing the muffler and the 3 screws that go in the push button leg mounts. If anyone has those. The shell is excellent. So I am looking and I think it is the exact same wrap as the Ludwigs. Did they both use the same source for their Champagne Sparkle wrap? This wrap has faded some and a couple of small cracks on the bottm couple of lugs. but under the lugs it looks identical to the Ludwig wrap. If I can get this cleaned up to match the others I will have a 16 floor too, Even though it is Slingerland it will work if I want to use it on a gig with the others.

2 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Tim - It sure looks like the same stuff Ludwig used. But bear in mind that Slingerland, more than any other company varied/altered their standard wraps regularly. Blue Sparkle and Champaign Sparkle are stand out examples of this. Slingerland must have gone through 5 different shades of blue, from very dark to almost aqua, in the three decades between 1950 and the 80's. Same for the Champaign Sparkle, there must be at least three versions of it over the decades from Slingerland. I don't recall where, but I read a really great and informative article about Slingerland wraps. If I can track it down, I'll post a link for you. The article covers everything, (and more,) that you ever wanted to know about Slingerland wraps.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

If in stock this guy sells the buttons. http://www.jp2creations.com/ $30 for set of 3.

Nice drum too~!

I forget who it was here or on DFO just used some short bolts that did pretty much the same thing. There was a thread on it somewhere and a few other fixes for the push button mounts.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 11 years ago

I have cleaned up the floor tom and it is pretty nice. It has faded to a deeper Champagne than my Ludwig's but the Ludwig's have no noticeable fade really.

I have heard folks complain about those push leg mount holders but I was in Home Depot today and found some stainless steel Socket Screw Caps that fit and work beautifully. They look good too and for .89 for 2 sure beats the $30 another place wanted for 3 of them.. They are the socket Cap Screw #10-24 x 3/8

You have to get the spring lined up correctly inside and the lean on the L metal piece correct and there working excellent for me. No slippage so far.

The hoops on the Floor tom are COB and the lugs must be also as a magnet won't stick to them. Sorry about the sideway pics.

3 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

I put it next to the other drums as a small set up and it looks close enough that I think I can get away with it on stage. Nice to have a 16" available.

Having fun fooling around with all the options.

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here