Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

1965 Rogers BR w/WMP Dynasonic

Thought I might take a moment and post up my '65 Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity kit... with a couple changes... including ALL original hardware and my 1967 WMP Dynasonic, also in WMP. I've been working with a Frank Sinatra Show all summer and grabbed a couple pics just before sound check at this particular venue. It was inside a Band Shell, and the sound was incredible! Anyway...

There are two floor toms, although with this particular view you can't see the other one. Also... I am using an 8X12 rack tom in place of the 9X13, as well as a 14X14 instead of TWO 16X16 floor toms. For this particular gig, the 8X12 and 14X14, plus the 16X16 gives me more of the "tonal spread" that I need. Needless to say, the drums sound GREAT... and I always get asked about them from the sound crews and audience members. I do of course have the 9X13 and other 16X16 that go with the kit as well.

This gig demands a better than fair amount of brushes... and the Dynasonic shines in that regard. Very articulate... very sensitive!... but with excellent projection. The band does that old Neal Hefti/Count Basie tune, "Cute" , which is a drum feature. I play it completely with brushes as it was meant to be played... and the Rogers deliver across the board!

Tommyp

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

You just cant get DW to look like that. Great shot of great drums.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

VERY very nice... thank you for posting and sharing a little.. I may be speaking only for myself but for a total novice out here in Internet land it is very cool to hear those little tidbits.

May I ask what kind of cymbals you are using?? and... do you play the floor tom set up flat or tipped toward you?

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

I see some Sabian's, and I remember your fondness for the HH series. Hi hat look to be of the Sound edge variety? Please fill in all the details with the cymbals. Also Tommy, beautiful kit as always.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

JohnPloughman, Jim, and backbeatkeeper!... as always, THANKS! for the very nice words. I know you guys really appreciate quality American made drums! Now, let's see if I can answer the queries put forth:

Jim: The cymbals are ALL Sabian HH series with the exception of the bottom HH cymbal which is indeed a 13" Paiste Sound Edge as backbeatkeeper's good eye noticed. The ride is a Sabian 20" Duo... ( the Duo works GREAT for this gig as it has just the right tone/volume with nice stick definition ) ... the two main crashes are both 17" in Thin and Extra Thin weight, and the splash is an 8" HH. I have been playing only Sabian HH's since 1986! Regarding the two floor toms: They are pretty much flat... very little angle. I have a full on FRONTAL pic from this same gig that shows them real well. I can PM you a pic or two if you like... and thanks for asking and the interest!

backbeatkeeper: You have an excellent eye! The HH's are 13'', and I have always mated a Paiste Sound Edge bottom with a Sabian top. I have found it to be a very nice combination that is able to cover just about ANY type of music. I can and do alter the top Sabian HH cymbal depending on what the gig requires though. For this particular gig the top is a regular Sabian 13" HH, in a medium weight. The Paise Sound Edge gives them that nice "chick", while the top cymbal maintains the "dark and smokey" Jazz flavor. Absolutely perfect for this gig! BTW...

I am loving this gig. The Sinatra catalog is hit after hit after hit. It's a 90 minute show with three arrangements that feature just the band to give "Frank" a breather. It's piano, bass, and drums... plus ... two horns: Trumpet and Sax. It is a reading gig... everything is charted out, and there are a lot of horn "kicks" written out as well as endings. Good amount of brushes too! ALL the shows are at outdoor venues... so the sound system's are pretty large.

I appreciate all the kind words... and thanks for the questions too! :-)

Posted on 16 years ago

Wow a 13" Sound Edge with a Sabian top. Nice combo. I like to use my bottom New Beat as the top and vice versa. I read in a magazine about jazz guys doing that along with burying their cymbals. Haven't buried one yet, but I like experimenting with the hi hats....PM me the "full-on frontal" shot when you get a chance, I'd like to see it

BBK

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Is it possible to get any classier?

IS IT?!

so amazing even non drummers are going daaaaaaang.

Bopworks Hickory Jazz Drumsticks
http://www.youtube.com/user/mgimino
Posted on 16 years ago

MichaelSJ!

Nice to hear from you!... and THANKS for the nice words too! I kinda have to agree:

Rogers... Buddy... WMP... = Classy!

backbeatkeeper and Jim: As it turns out, there is currently no capacity to attach pics to a PM... so ... I have the front view if you would like to see it, but you would have to email me directly. My email address can be found in my profile by clicking on my username, Tommyp. Thanks guys!!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

Tommy, incredible, thanks for sharing! Doesn't get much better than that!

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

mlvibes!...

THANK YOU very much for having a look and the very nice words!! By the way, I do enjoy visiting YOUR site... you always have some fine specimens available for sale, and/or just to view!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here