Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

1965 Rogers BR Celebrity's

From johnnyz

Nice playing Tommy a beautiful kit. Do u gat flack from soundmen for the full front head? I will be going out with a new band soon and going no hole. It`s only a 20``but still. so much better feel

johnnyz!

THANK YOU!, and glad you enjoyed!, also... an excellent question! What I have found as of late is:

Sound companies nowadays are much more savvy with where drums/drummers have gone what with wide open toms, unported front/resonant bass drum heads, etc. But!, there is always that exception. For years "I fought the good fight" and played all unported bass drums, as well as the drums being unmuffled, save a felt strip under the resonant head. But, I would run into problems here and there with a sound company that just couldn't handle the drum without a port. They would literally panic! So, to make things easier for them and for me, I started "micro" porting the resonant head on ALL my bass drums. By "micro" I mean 3" in circumference. Pretty small all things considered. So... when the sound company puts a mike in front of or into the port... it LOOKS like there is no port! The benefits are twofold: The "feel" of the drum is retained as the 3" port is so small, most all the air is still inside the drum.. plus .. the sound company breathes easy as they SEE a port! It has worked tremendously for me with ZERO problems. That all said...

... there IS a 3" port in the bass drum head on this Rogers kit... but the mike placed in front of it blocks it from actually being seen, yet it is just large enough for the mike to sneak inside a taste. ( jeeze, that sentence conjures up some images! ) I'll attach a pic of the drums without a BD mike so you can see the port. That's how I got around it, yet kept the feel/sound of the bass drum the way I like it.

I'm attaching a pic of my 1997 Ludwig BR set in my practice room as you can clearly see the 3" port, and then one at a gig miked up. I put them all in that same spot. After some experimentation, that proved to be the best place for me. Hope this was of some help!

Tommyp

2 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Tommyp-you had me snapping my fingers and tapping my toes to your wonderful swing feel.You have such a very fluid feel to your swing and that`s something that comes from within.Love your 65`s and you know how i feel about Rogers drums-beautiful Buddy set and great playing.Many thanks for sharing and happy your wife was able to catch what she did...

Wayne

1967 Rogers Cleveland Champagne Sparkle
1967/68 Rogers Dayton Champagne Sparkle
1966 Rogers cob 7 Line Dynasonic Snare.
1967 Rogers "Humberto Morales" Timbales.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge 14x 6.5 Black Beauty Snare.
1980 Ludwig B/O badge Red Cortex
1988 Sonor "Horst Link" HLD 590 14x8 Bronze Snare
Posted on 9 years ago

From Wayne Brown

Tommyp-you had me snapping my fingers and tapping my toes to your wonderful swing feel.You have such a very fluid feel to your swing and that`s something that comes from within.Love your 65`s and you know how i feel about Rogers drums-beautiful Buddy set and great playing.Many thanks for sharing and happy your wife was able to catch what she did...Wayne

Wayne!

THANK YOU very much for the extremely nice words! I greatly appreciate your taking the time to look/listen! I KNEW you'd like the Rogers Wayne. No hiding our LOVE for Rogers drums!

Tommyp

Posted on 9 years ago

TommyP: Quick question, if I may -- In general, are the Rogers kits (Cleveland-era) with the bread & butter lugs worth less to players and collectors than those with the beavertail lugs? THANKS in advance for your time.

Posted on 9 years ago

From OldSchool

TommyP: Quick question, if I may -- In general, are the Rogers kits (Cleveland-era) with the bread & butter lugs worth less to players and collectors than those with the beavertail lugs? THANKS in advance for your time.

Gary!

You know... they certainly seem to be! The B&B model Rogers drums, even just PRE Beavertails in 1963, don't seem to have the demand or resale value. I guess there are more then a few factors driving that too, but I honestly think it's primarily the LUG DESIGN. Today, pretty much everybody knows that the soft brass B&B lugs eventually CRACK under tension, whereas the CAST Beavertails rarely if ever do. So, say you have this beautiful set of 1962 Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity's, and of course it has all B&B lugs.. ( you know, just like the set on the 2nd edition/printing of Buddy Rich's Snare drum Rudiments book! ) .. they will probably already be cracks in a lot of the lugs due to time/playing. So what can you do with the drums? A museum piece for sure! ( and I would love to have a set too! ) But you can't really play them. Otherwise, shells and hardware are all pretty much the same as the later Beavertail 60's models. So, I think it's the B&B lugs that keep the interest.. demand.. playability over time.. and resale.. down. Just my thought on it Gary!

Tommyp

Posted on 9 years ago

From Tommyp

Gary!You know... they certainly seem to be! The B&B model Rogers drums, even just PRE Beavertails in 1963, don't seem to have the demand or resale value. I guess there are more then a few factors driving that too, but I honestly think it's primarily the LUG DESIGN. Today, pretty much everybody knows that the soft brass B&B lugs eventually CRACK under tension, whereas the CAST Beavertails rarely if ever do. So, say you have this beautiful set of 1962 Rogers Buddy Rich Celebrity's, and of course it has all B&B lugs.. ( you know, just like the set on the 2nd edition/printing of Buddy Rich's Snare drum Rudiments book! ) .. they will probably already be cracks in a lot of the lugs due to time/playing. So what can you do with the drums? A museum piece for sure! ( and I would love to have a set too! ) But you can't really play them. Otherwise, shells and hardware are all pretty much the same as the later Beavertail 60's models. So, I think it's the B&B lugs that keep the interest.. demand.. playability over time.. and resale.. down. Just my thought on it Gary!Tommyp

THANKS for your input, Tommyp! There's a kit being sold locally that appears to be in mint shape at a pretty reasonable price but it's got the B&B lugs and I was just wondering why it hadn't sold yet. THANKS AGAIN for your time.

Posted on 9 years ago

I have a BDP Holiday snare with B&B lugs. Many of the lugs are cracked. It's a beautiful drum and sounds awesome. I take it out on a couple of gigs a year and show it no mercy. The rest of the year I let it rest on the shelf. I'll never sell it!

Posted on 9 years ago

From Gerald Sterken

I have a BDP Holiday snare with B&B lugs. Many of the lugs are cracked. It's a beautiful drum and sounds awesome. I take it out on a couple of gigs a year and show it no mercy. The rest of the year I let it rest on the shelf. I'll never sell it!

Gerald!

You know what... you're right!!! I really didn't mean to say that you shouldn't play them, because they DO play/sound GREAT!!! I guess I meant one has to be a little careful with the tension/tuning as once they all crack, well... you know. I think it's fabulous that you DO play that drum! I already KNOW how it sounds!

Tommyp

Posted on 9 years ago

TommyP - For me, 'Tasty' is the highest compliment I can give another drummer. You're a 'tasty' drummer, Tommy. There is something rock-solid and confident in the sound that comes from a professional drummer. I can hear the difference right away, something in the -quality- of the sound and feel. You've got all that knocked.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 9 years ago

From Purdie Shuffle

TommyP - For me, 'Tasty' is the highest compliment I can give another drummer. You're a 'tasty' drummer, Tommy. There is something rock-solid and confident in the sound that comes from a professional drummer. I can hear the difference right away, something in the -quality- of the sound and feel. You've got all that knocked. John

John!

THANK YOU very much for the extremely complimentary words! Glad you enjoyed! It's a great gig and I do enjoy it immensely. It's made all the better by the fact that they are all great guys and excellent players. THANKS for having a look/listen and for the very kind words!!!

Tommyp

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here