Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

1964 Slingerland Studio Customs?

Hi Ye Gods of Drums......I need some help

I saw this ad and the description for these IMHO is way off. This goes back to a thread that Canadians price their drums way too high! These were $3000.00!!!Can any one weigh in?

thanks from the GWN(Great White North)

Here's the write up....maybe I'm wrong but....set o matics, blk and silver badge....never mind the Rogers additions and extra holes....how much would you pay?

REDUCED $1200 now $1800!!!

1964 Slingerland Studio Custom Drum Kit made 1962-1964. Rare find!

Big Big Sound! This was the top of the line kit, Niles Illinois (began 1959) 5 digit serial #'s. Mahogany/Birch multi-ply. 24" bass #46794, 18" floor tom #42264, 14" tom #41915, 15"tom #43185. Sound great, some wear/scratches (see pics).

I have an extra 16" floor tom (1962 #27441 correct series/Studio Custom). This drum is seen in the 4th pic on the botton of drums stacked. I'll include this drum with the kit if the buyer wants it. This drum needs minor repair in one leg mounting area.

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

He is...in a word...lying. Or, he's very innocently misremembering. There really is no other way to state that.

If he were honest, I would buy that 16 inch tom from him. I'm looking for one of those.

Those drums are from the later Slingerland times. I would guess...after 1970. They are in rough rough shape. The hardware got spanked real good. That kit is WAY overpriced. Starting at 3000 for this kit is like saying getting up off the couch is the first move to make when flying to the moon. There's just NO WAY! Even dropping it to 1800 is still a bit of a joke. This kit should go for between 500 and 800 dollars.

And for the record...there is no birch in those shells. Further indication as to the validity of the man's statements.

Posted on 14 years ago

Not to mention the closest to a Slingerland Studio Custom there's ever been was the Studio King line of the 90s. And the 14" and 15" mounted toms are a pretty dead giveaway that this isn't 60s. (To say nothing of the Set-O-Matic mounts which would guarantee this isn't 1964 vintage.)

$500 is fair given condition, age, this economy and the undervaluing of Slingerlands in general. Listings like these always amaze me give how easy the Internet has made it to either get it right (assuming this is an honest mistake) or verify claims (if he's full of ****.)

Posted on 14 years ago

I agree with Mcjnic and Rob G. .... the badge in the second pic looks like the Oval Black and Silver Niles badge, which would barely fit into a five-digit serial number after the reset of numbers in 1970. Puts the manufacture date at 1972.

The price is undoubtedly too high, but the condition should also leave a lot of room for negotiation. Perhaps the seller is fishing, and would actually come down to a fair price if haggled with?

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

I would show interest in this kit...if the seller proved to be honest and clueless about the drums. I wouldn't do business with him if he was intentionally being a pooty and lying.

Posted on 14 years ago

On Rogers stuff, I am ignant, so what about the "sticksaver" hoops? I am in no way defending, it for my info only.Help2

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From mcjnic

I would show interest in this kit...if the seller proved to be honest and clueless about the drums. I wouldn't do business with him if he was intentionally being a pooty and lying.

Yepper.........

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Man that kit's a t_urd.

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

From GoneDrumming

Man that kit's a t_urd.

Yup, no doubt there.

Out here in Cali land there are lots of kits that pop up. Prices may be a bit lower than in the GWN. I wouldn't go more than $200 US for something in that condition. The only thing I may bump higher on would be maybe period cymbals and hardware that was included. I just don't know, looks kinda rough.

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

Many thanks folks.

This seems to be happening more and more as time goes on and I believe the guy may have got some bad information and believes it to be true. In any case you've confirmed my suspicions.

This is a great forum and if more people read it and did some research prior to listing it would help them sell their beloved heirlooms for a fair price. Hail the VDF!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here