Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

1964 Slingerland - Haskell W. Harr 10x14 Snare

Another find at my son's school. I'm cleaning up this parade snare for his drum line. The wrap is pretty faded, has some small cracks and is buckling around the lugs. All parts are original and present, except the Slingerland drum key. The original snares are there, but pretty beat up. It still has the lug mounted strap attachment.

By the way the wrap is faded, it looks like it was stored where the sun hit it for an extended period. The shell and bearing edges are in great shape. There is some micro cracking on one small section where the reinforcement ring meets the shell, but it can be easily fixed with some wood glue and a clamp. The chrome is dirty and has typical pitting, but should clean up really well.

Should I just clean it up or re-wrap it? A pearl wrap would be $45 to $50, so the cost is not an issue. Personally, if the wrap was faded the same throughout the entire shell, I would just leave it. If I leave it as is, the drum would probably just sit on a shelf and never get used. I figured about $70 - $80 (wrap, heads, snares) and this drum would be as good as new.

Where is a good place to source snare wires for this type of drum? Currently it has the silk with wrapped wire snares.

Thanks,

Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

That's a cool drum. My opinion is to leave it as is. It shows character. If noone wants to use it I may be interested in it.

Posted on 12 years ago

I would leave it as it is. (It's really not worth putting $50-80 into it, & you would not really be adding much value to the drum anyway). I don't see why this would sit on a shelf, & not be played. Old WMP is attractive, even w/ all it's glitches. A good cleaning should be enough.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. In the process of cleaning. Lugs and throw off are the last items that need cleaned. Used polishing compound on the shell and the rags were yellow by the time I was done. Finished it off with two coats of wax. So far it's looking pretty good.

Once the hardware is back on, the wrap fade should not be as noticeable.

Tim

Posted on 12 years ago

What a cool old snare. Glad to hear it's cleaning up nicely.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

you'll love this HH model marcher of yours, they rule here is one that I had.

1 attachments
216.9 kB
Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 12 years ago

Thornbeck, I hope she cleans up nice, you're on the right track, I'd say!

I have a '59 HH 14x10 in mahogany.

It was my first restoration, the shell was nearly toast.

VTM2000 helped me re-install the badge.

Love it, and it still sounds great after 50 years.

1 attachments
Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Finished it this weekend. It turned out really nice too. Up close, you can really notice the uneven fade on the wrap. From 20 feet away, it's not really noticeable. The worse part of the wrap actually faces the drummer.

I installed some Pearl snare wires I had stored away, cleaned up the Evans Genera Dry batter head that was already on the drum and installed a lightly used Pearl snare resonant head. Drum dial 95 on the batter and 80 on the resonant. It has a nice deep snappy sound that can really project with out the muffler and a crisp and quick sound that compliments with the muffler.

This really is a very versatile drum. Marching snare, concert snare, field drum .. you name it. This is probably a very underrated drum to a lot of people, until they hear it. I will be searching for more of these. :)

Thanks for everyone's feedback and the great pictures of other Haskell W. Harr snares. I have a feeling this drum is not going to sit on the shelf anymore.

- Tim

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here