Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

1964 Ludwig Pioneer

Hello Gents.

I have this old pioneer that I have "officially" started to refinish. All the parts are with the drum...so no worries there. So here's what I'm working with:

[LIST]

[*]Drum had a horrible stain finish

[*]Original interior white paint is in sad shape (chipping and stains)

[/LIST]

INTERIOR

Any ideas for removing old paint? Do you guys use stripper, sanding, combination? Also I can't seem to track down the Benjamin Moore white paint that is suggested on this site.

EXTERIOR

I want to keep a "wood" finish. I have used tung oil before on wooden instruments with great success so that is one option. However I like the idea of a "Mahagony" finish from a stain job? Am I correct in this. The bare mahagony seems light in color so I assume I would have to stain and seal?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

[Attachment: 16624]

[Attachment: 16625]

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Randy Lane's YouTube Page
Posted on 14 years ago

Randy, I used Varithane Mahogany stain on this keller vintage mahogany shell!Very easy to apply!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

Randy, I used Varithane Mahogany stain on this keller vintage mahogany shell!Very easy to apply!

OOH-LA-lA...Nice! Thanks man.

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 14 years ago

Are there other options for the white interior paint other than the Benjamin Moore? Has anyone used anything else? Spray paint? Brush on?

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 14 years ago

I wouldn't try to strip the interior. Clean it well, remove any chipping paint and feather the edges then just paint over the old. Just my opinion.

I got the recommended Benjamin Moore color to touch up a Pioneer interior and found that it did not match very well. Probably because the original paint had "aged". So, I went Lowes and got samples of all their variations of "white". Held each one next to the interior until I found one that appeared to match...went back and bought a quart. Worked fine. You really could not tell it had been touched up.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks. I never thought of that. I will go check it out. Did you use a semi gloss? Lacquer?

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Posted on 14 years ago

If your question was about the interior paint, I used Semi-gloss Latex.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

Hi,

I'm likewise doing a 1964 kit. I went to the Benjamin Moore place on Friday and got N333 01, their regular white. When I brought it home and compared it to the paint on my extra snare, which is in excellent original condition, I thought N333 01 looked too bright. I figured the original paint on that snare must have aged slightly yellow, but when I removed the screws that are holding some of the lugs, the color underneath the washers was also yellow-ish. I'm thinking of going back to the store to get a quart of linen white #70. That paint chip matches the interior of the snare perfectly.

If I don't like what it looks like once it's on, I'll cover it over with the N333 01 and call it a day.

John

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here