Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

1964 Ludwig Club Date

From kellyj

The mounts are really hard to find. I have four of them on a '63 Down Beat bass, yep four disappearing spurs! Not sure what they were thinking?The badges on my Duco CD are '65 vintage. I believe the Galaxy FT was '62-63?kellyj

i think the 4 disappearing mounts are my favorites. they have a great look to them i think.

if youre talking about my floor tom, i'm not sure. john found a ludwig shell that was gonna be a marching snare and never made it. i think its pre serial. it had been drilled for the badge and maybe one other thing that john filled. maybe it was the muffler hole or strainer but that was it. no lug holes or anything. it was new old stock.

ive got a classic floor tom in galaxy,16x16 and its a pre serial probably in that age range that you mentioned since its a resacote interior with red felt baseball bat muffler.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

In the 1964 Ludwig catalog both pictures of the Club Date set show a "disappearing" cymbal mount to the right (from the player's perspective) of the rail tom mount. I have had one Club Date set from this era pass through my hands, and that cymbal mount was exactly the same as the disappearing spurs mount. So, if you need the cymbal mount bad enough, you can usually find the spur mounts somewhere.

BTW -- in the '67 Ludwig catalog they switched to the L-arm cymbal mount (same as folding spur mounts, floor tom leg mounts, and tom mounts), so somehere in between '64 and '67 they made the change...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

In the 1964 Ludwig catalog both pictures of the Club Date set show a "disappearing" cymbal mount to the right (from the player's perspective) of the rail tom mount. I have had one Club Date set from this era pass through my hands, and that cymbal mount was exactly the same as the disappearing spurs mount. So, if you need the cymbal mount bad enough, you can usually find the spur mounts somewhere.BTW -- in the '67 Ludwig catalog they switched to the L-arm cymbal mount (same as folding spur mounts, floor tom leg mounts, and tom mounts), so somehere in between '64 and '67 they made the change...

those are great too. and yep, its the same mount. the center mount lets you mount a small cymbal. i use a z bar on mine to put the ride in the gravy spot. but i love the look of those angled arms coming out of the bass drum.

just found some pics. one is a straight arm with a splash mount. one is the z bar. the other shows the clipper mount for the tom.

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Mike,

The 4 dissappearing spurs are tricky to use. In set-up you have to take into account the bass pedal and just bring out out the rear spurs enough to match the height of the drum with the pedal mounted. The pedal itslef acts as a rear support so the rear spurs are almost redundant. If the spurs at the back are out too far, the drum will slide across the floor during play. This happened to me a couple of times in gigs ;) I think because of this probblem Ludwig abandoned the rear spurs soon after introducing them.

That Z bar cymbal holder is very cool. My CD kit did not come with one. Is that original or an add on? Would love to get my hands on one!

Billnvick,

Yes I see that the '64 catalog shows the cymbal mount "off-set". Interesting that my badges are '65 issue with the cymbal mounted centred in front of the badge! I can assure you that drums are original and unmolested. Another Ludwig "mystery"?

The 1962 catalog shows the CD kit with a 12X15 FT. Obviously a marching snare shell put into service for this kit.

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 12 years ago

Kellyj -- your's is a 22" BD though, isn't it? The one I've seen and the ones in the catalog are 20" BDs. I've seen what you're talking about done that way on a 22" BD.

Mike -- I think prior to 1964 (without looking) they used a 12x15 for the standard size floor tom. I know I've seen it quite a bit, anyway. So, I have NO PROBLEMS converting 12x15 marching drums to floor toms, since Ludwig used to do it as standard procedure anyway...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

yep, Mine is the 22" Just find it weird that it's not off-set with a '65 badge.

-kellyj

Posted on 12 years ago

kellyj

the z bar is new. they made some vintage models but i havent snagged one yet. the older models in many case werent threaded and you used an add on tilter. i do have the tilter already.

gibraltar makes the z bar and i'll provide a link to it. 10 bucks shipped! the threads are metric though. and its fixed with no tilt. i went to the hardware store and just got me a conventional wing nut so it wouldnt stand out on my vintage kit with that big gibraltar nut. now, i have the titler on mine which gives me the option the angle my ride down a little towards me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibraltar-SC-CA-Cymbal-Arm-/130638102340?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6aa33f44

mike

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks Mike,

Look like the cats meow to solve that cymbal arm problem! Cool1

-kellyj

Posted on 12 years ago

Kelly, very cool kit bro ! your hardware looks like it is pretty good shape ... if I could just find some legs and spring clips for my floor tom ...

Posted on 12 years ago

Hey Zilla,

I saw a set of legs and clip mounts on the bay last week. They come up on there from time to time.

kellyj

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here