Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

1964 Gene Krupa Sound King Snare

I recently unearthed from the attic my circa 1964 chrome over brass, 8-lug, snare drum from my high school days. I had not opened the box in 57 years. The drum is in amazing condition with only the string on the wire degraded. I am interested in selling it someday and would like to know a range of values for drums like mine.

The serial is 14533 and most likely a Model 130 (I have not measured it). Thanks for your knowledge and assistance. Note: the drum has not been cleaned or polished, I'll do that soon.

Posted on 1 year ago

I am no expert on Slingerlands, but from what I can glean off of catalogs is that by 1964 the Slingerland catalog showed the GK Sound King (#130) with three etched lines running around the middle of the shell. Your drum matches the 1963 catalog with no lines on the shell and featured the "New" Zoomatic strainer.

So, a rarity in that it was offered with no lines on the shell until the second year of production and first year of the Zoomatic?

Again, many others here have more knowledge than I in this brand.

kdg

1974-75 Rogers Starlighter IV New England White 13/16/22 (w/Dyna)
1964-67 Rogers Blue Glass Glitter 12/14/16/20
early Oaklawn Camco Blue Moire 12/14/20
1926 Super Ludwig 5x14
1960-ish Ludwig COB 5x14 Super Sensitive
1960-ish Ludwig COB 6.5x14 Super Sensitive
1970 Ludwig COB Cut-Badge 5x14 Supra Phonic

Looking for a Camco Aristocrat SD in Blue Moire!!
Posted on 1 year ago

Yes, the OP's drum is a '63 model. Serial 14xxx and "no line" shell makes sense. The "no line" Krupa was also available in '62 (first year for the COB Krupa and the Zoomatic strainer). While historically interesting the early "no line" Krupa's do not seem to command a premium over the later "three line" versions. Nice drum.

Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks. the best I remember I bought the drum from a music store in Nashville, TN in 1964. It must have been a holdover from the previous model year.

Posted on 1 year ago

Thanks! I think I will just go by what I see on drum sites, eBay, and Etsy as for valuation. That seems to be the market value.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here