Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

1963 Slingerland Marine white Pearl Kit

Hello:

I'm trying to get a sense of value and what I should do with this kit. It's a 4-piece, 1963 Slingerland White Marine Pearl kit in very good condition. I'm the original owner but I'm thinking of giving up playing fairly soon. The kit has a 5-1/2" snare (maple - serial # 13538), 20" base (maple - serial # 14691), a 9X13 tom and a 16x16 floor tom. Both toms appear to be mahogany with maple rings but don't have serial numbers. The kit was purchased by me as a kit in 1963. People who have seen this kit tell me it's priceless and don't ever sell it. I'm a little torn here. If I sell it, I would like someone who really appreciates vintage kits to get it. This is not about getting as much as I can for the kit, only what's fair. The problem is I don't have a clue what's fair and drum shops in the Boston area don't seem to have a clue either. I'm really surprised at this. They ask why the toms don't have serial numbers and why they are mahogany when the snare and base are maple? All I know is people have said they would kill me for this kit. I can try taking some photos of the kit if it will help. I would appreciate some thoughts. Thank you.

Ed

Posted on 17 years ago

Very nice sounding drum set.

Serial numbers did not start until later.

Read all of the Slingerland stuff written by our resident Slingerland expert

DrCJW.

Kits with 18" bass drums should sell for a little more, if it had the 14" floor and 12" tom then it would probably do even better.

Slingerlands in general do not do as well as Rogers or Gretsch of the same era. Where a Gretsch set may value between $1800 and up, Slingerland sets might at the top end hit $1600 depending on the finish and the hardware. Rare finishes in unique sizes usually always bring more.

Of course 18" bass drums can do really well on their own, but your set should stay together.

Others might be able to offer better information, but this will get you started. Also search Ebay for past auctions for complete sets to see what the current trend is.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thank you for the reply. They were purchased in 63 and Jan 63 is stamped inside one drum and those are the serial numbers on them. I don't know what else to say.

Posted on 17 years ago

I understand, I was not clear in my statemnt. It is common to have drums that are factory matched with different badges. Those badges crossed in the badge timeline.

Read the badge section and look at the badges for precise dates.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Hello Ed:

Your kit sounds great, and its features sound just fine for 1963 Slingerland. We would love to see some pictures, but from your description some basic information on your questions would be this.

On tom badges ? Slingerland started putting badges on snare drums and bass drums in October 1962, but not on toms. Slingerland did not put badges on its toms until June of 1966. So no factory badges on your 1963 Slingerland toms is absolutely correct.

On tom interiors ? Slingerland switched from mahogany interiors on its 3-ply shells to maple in June of 1963, though it is possible to come across a few maple interior shells with May 1963 stamps. But if your toms were made from January to May of 1963 then mahogany interiors is absolutely correct. You say one of your drums is stamped JAN 1963 ? if that is a tom then mahogany interior it should be.

Your snare drum, with a 1963 serial number of 13538 and a maple interior, should have a solid maple (1-ply) shell. That is a valuable snare drum.

As David indicates, if you have a factory original 1963 Slingerland 14x18 bass drum (and not a marching drum conversion) then you have another drum of value all by itself.

The component drums in a Slingerland kit were not necessarily made all at the same time. Bass drums and toms in common sizes and in popular finishes such as Marine Pearl were made ahead of time and stocked in order to be able to meet the higher demand in that finish. When a kit order was being filled, the toms were typically taken from stock, so those drums had often been made weeks or months earlier. Your bass drum is not a common size and was not heavily stocked, so probably was made closer to the order time of your kit. Its serial number and its maple interior puts it in the May ? June 1963 time frame. The serial number on your snare drum is from the May 1963 time frame. So the component drums in your kit were probably gathered together at the factory circa May ? June 1963. And just for fun I?m going to guess that you bought your kit some time around or not too terribly long after the middle of that year.

In any case, altogether, being a one-owner kit, if all original and in good condition, your kit is quite valuable. I'm afraid I do not personally give appraisals on the open forum, but I would observe that a drum shop or drum dealer will of course not be able to give you anything close to market value, since they of course must resell.

Lastly, if I may be permitted a small editorial comment ? it makes my little Slingerland heart feel good that you are concerned about finding the ?right home? for your wonderful drums.

DrCJW[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago

Here are the drums

David

Posted on 17 years ago

[COLOR="Navy"]Very nice indeed, with a wrinkle seeing the snare drum is a Deluxe Student Model. This would not normally have a solid shell, so with maple interior it would be like the bass drum an early example after the switchover from mahogany to maple inner ply.[/COLOR]

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here