Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

1963 Premier Royal Ace COB 10 lug

This seems to be a rare bird. Generally all Royal Ace snares are 8 lugs but this one has 10. It belonged to a long time percussionist with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra who passed away. He kept it in great shape but I've given it a thorough clean. Came with case, stand and an elusive key. It's date stamped January 1963. One of the cleanest drums I own. I have kept the original, unbranded batter and the Everplay reso on it as it sounds different to anything else I have. I guess it was tuned for orchestra use - very high pitched and dry.

1 attachments
Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 9 years ago

Great Looking snare FayRay!

I have a sixties RA and love to play it once in a while for the very qualities you mention :) tunes up high and dry for great rudimental articulation.

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 9 years ago

Wow this is one I've never seen, as you mentioned a 10 lug model, really sweet !

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

I love this drum! Wow, a 10-lugger! I always been intrigued by the snare mechanism. How is the operation? Smooth?

Mark

Posted on 9 years ago

Clean,Clean,Clean!!! Very Nice!

Ed

Posted on 9 years ago

Really Nice... I always thought those lugs looked way ahead of their time. Beaut detail job.

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

thanks guys.

Mark - the parallel system is very smooth although it is missing one of the tiny grub screws that holds on the small lever (has a replacement in there right now). This appears to be a common problem as they loosen off after a while - much like a pair of glasses when the arm comes loose and the screw is impossible to find.

John & BigE - I really didn't have to do much detailing on this. I just stripped it down and polished it up. It was a working drum but kept in immaculate shape. You are right John, the lugs are contemporary looking and beautiful.

Kellyj - if I was any good at rudiments that's exactly what it would be brilliant for:)

V2000 - yeah, it's a rare one for sure but i get the feeling Premier would make anything you wanted at the time.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here