Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.05219%

1963 ludwig downbeat in sparkling pink champagne

Was able to procure this cool set from a longtime friend. It was originally owned by his stepfather whom played in local rock and country bands.

The set was eventually retired and stored in an attic.

So the story goes my friends stepfather moved on to various other drum sets. a camco concert tom set, and a rogers. He also owned a PA and various monitors for his bands to play local venues.

One day some nefarious characters decided to rob his house, stealing nearly all of his gear, save for the old Ludwig hiding in the attic.

Insurance eventually paid out and he was able to get some new drums, Premier XPK 75th anniversary, a nice set of A zildjians, and a new PA system.

In the years that followed a guess some nostalgia struck him and he gigged the old Ludwig set for some shows.

Sadly he passed away and his family removed his original bass drum head and all of his friends and family signed the drumhead at his funeral. ( the drum head still resides on my friends bedroom wall.)

But sadly the old drum set ended up back in the attic.

Fortunately for the XPK kit it was stored in cases and my friend started up some jam bands with his biological father and they still uses the XPK.

About five years ago my friend reached out to me about fixing up the old Ludwig, cost of parts, etc. i gave him a rough idea, and we decided i would do all the work, he’d cover the costs and i would do it just for the chance to do a video review of the set on YouTube. Then of course things happen and time passes. Back into the attic it goes.

So a couple of weeks ago my friend asks me if id be interested in the XPK. I asked aren’t you guys jamming anymore?

Long story short i told him id get the XPK back into tip top shape, id cover the cost of new heads, odds and ends and we settled on a price for the Downbeat.

He said “ i only offered this kit to you, i know you’ll take care of it.”

I told him i would preserve it replace what’s missing, and preserve the story of its original owner as best i could.

My intention is to type out a small essay with pictures detailing the set, its original owner and his local bands. I even have old business cards he had from back when.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 1 year ago

So best i can tell, so far

Dec 22 1963, all pre serial,

missing tone controls for mic cables?

One extra hole in the top of the bass drum for mic cables?

Two shell mounted cymbal holders on the bass drum, both are in line with the spur brackets

All brackets spurs, tom, floor tom and cymbal arm (8 total) are the old thread in type(can’t remember the part no.)

All hoops are chrome over brass.

The snare is pre serial, crimped snare beds, nice chrome, small knob tone control, and weighs about 10 pounds.

Both cymbal arms are the W&A style round tilter with the crosshatch kneeling on the l arms spurs and floor tom legs. ( i am missing one floor tom leg) and have three extra long straight ones.

The original owner was quite tall and used long floortom legs and a cymbal L arm in the consolette to get the 12” tom higher.

I like Drums...
1963 Ludwig Downbeat Champagne Sparkle
1964 Leedy (Slingerland) Blue n Silver Duco
1964 Ludwig Club Date Sparkling Silver Pearl
1966 Ludwig Super Classic Sparkling Silver Pearl
1968 Gretsch round badge modern jazz orange stain
1972 Slingerland 85N Pop outfit Light Blue Pearl
1976 Ludwig Vistalite clear
1981 Gretsch SSB Gran Prix Rosewood
1987 Yamaha Turbo Tour Custom Mellow Yellow
1991 Pearl Export Ferrari Red
Posted on 1 year ago

Wonderful story ,

Time waits for no one .

except the drums in the attic !

They r forever

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here