Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

1962 SBP Ludwigs

This 4pc. kit was purchased new in 1962 by my father. When he and mother were married in the early 70's the kit was sold to a cousin who added many toms and Hercules hardware. My parents bought the kit back and presented it to me last Christmas. My father and I worked to recreate as best we could his kit from the 60's. All drums were disassembled and polished before adding new Remo coated Powerstroke III heads. The original hardware including the consolette tom holder must have been sold years ago and finding replacements proved difficult. I decided to order new Gibralter "old school" flat based stands to compliment the kit. Since the bass had been drilled for a 70's double tom mount and dissapearing spurs, and filling holes and matching the finish would look worse in my opinion, I decided to order a new Ludwig single tom holder to fit the mount that was already there, as well as new spur mounts. We plugged the original comsolette holes with black plugs. The bass hoops were sanded and repainted. I still have Dad's original Speed-King pedal, but upgraded to a new DW3000 as I like the feel of it. The old sizzle ride and hi-hats were Dad's and our cousin added the two crashes later, all cymbals polished up and sound well together. Dad and I really have had fun with this project and look forward to playing them. I've always wanted a vintage kit and this one sounds and feels great.

1 attachments
1962 SBP 4pc Ludwig Classics
1990 Arctic-white 5pc Ludwig Classics
1990's Ludwig Engraved Black-Beauty #40
Posted on 13 years ago

Man, I love that color and on an early Super Classic as well. Too bad your cuz went drill happy on this kit, as SBP is hard to find in this condition. At least the kit was not set up in some window and left in the sun for 30 years.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

I really wished he wouldn't have done it too, esp with what I've seen on ebay for unmolested drums...never the less, folks bought these back for the right price. I sold all the 70's Hercules hardware to a friend who recently purchased a 70's Classic kit wo/ hardware for his son. So that recouped some of the investment. Still have 5 SBP add-on drums from the mid 70's-early 80's to sell. Thought about finding an "unmolested" bass to truly make the kit right, but I didn't want them to resell, and a different bass wouldn't have been Dad's kit....so we made the best with what we had. We've got alittle money in the project, but I've got Dad's set back and that was what mattered anyways. We were both amazed at how well they cleaned up considering all the "pool halls" they'd been over the years! To watch him play makes it worth it...I think he enjoys them as much as I do. I truly have a blast with them too!

1962 SBP 4pc Ludwig Classics
1990 Arctic-white 5pc Ludwig Classics
1990's Ludwig Engraved Black-Beauty #40
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here