Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

1962 Oyster Black Pearl Downbeat Set

Digging through the closet and came across my Oyster Black Pearl 1962 Ludwig Downbeat set. I was really surprised to see them after many, many years. But there they were, 20x14 kick, 12x8 tom, 14x14 floor tom and the matching, 8 lug 14x4 snare.

They are white inside and stamped Sept 20, 1962 and the badges have no serial #. They also have the red baseball bat mufflers and the original wires on the snare. The "kicker" was finding the trusty Speed King pedal and my tuning key and wrench for the rail system along with my old stick bag.

I don't play anymore and I haven't kept up with the vintage drum crowd in over a decade, I am the second owner to my knowledge.

Here are a few pics of the snare (On a Gretsch Techware stand) the rest of the shells are in identical condition.

Enjoy!

[Attachment: 11176]

[Attachment: 11177]

[Attachment: 11178]

3 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

If, as you say, they are all in that kind of shape, then it would be a "Name Your Price" kind of drum set! What a treasure! Congratulations!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks O-Lugs,

They, of course, have signs of love; but no damage to the aesthetics or performance of the kit. If they are, as you say, a "name your own price" drum set, I wish I knew that before I financed Grad School!

More pics to come, I promise.

Posted on 14 years ago

i could put those into great use....im poor, but i could put them into use:Santa: tis the season

Posted on 14 years ago

WOW! That's the good stuff! Super cool kit - sizes and wrap.

Posted on 14 years ago

MAN, WHAT ELSE DO YOU HAVE STUFFED IN YOUR CLOSET, THAT IS A HOME RUN, SUPER COOOL LUDWIG KIT!!!!!!! Bowing

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the comments guys,

I'm glad everyone appreciates this set as much as I did; Here is the run down on the set - I mentioned the downbeat sizes earlier.

They came with a set of 3 bags, sort of brown tweed with a flannel inside. The bags have brown vinyl piping detail around the handles. The bags fit the bass (broken zipper) tom and floor tom with snare stacked on top.

I have the original red " baseball bat" mufflers on the snare, tom and floor tom. I also have the script style rail system, bass mounted cymbal arm and the speed king pedal.

Sorry, no snare stand, flat base cymbal stand or hi hat stand.

The kit did not come with floor tom legs and the wingnuts from the tom mount and one of the floor tom wingnuts are replacements.

The seams are solid, no chipping or retrofitting in the shell surfaces inside or out, excellent bearing edges. There are slight signs of use, along with the expected patina on the tension rods etc. No rust or pitting on the chrome. Wooden hoops on the bass with matching inlay.

No heads were on the set when I bought it, so I put new Remos on back in the day.

To top it off I have a German made set of matching Paiste Sound Formulas 14 sound edge hats, 16 full crash, 20 full ride. The cherry is the Wuhan 14 China.

I will post photos of the whole thing asap!

Posted on 14 years ago

As promised I have pics of the rest of the shells.

This is the Bass drum page

[Attachment: 11221]

[Attachment: 11222]

[Attachment: 11223]

[Attachment: 11224]

[Attachment: 11225]

Posted on 14 years ago

Floor Tom page

[Attachment: 11226]

[Attachment: 11227]

[Attachment: 11228]

[Attachment: 11229]