Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

1962 Ludwig Drum Set

I bought the original (1962) 3 piece set in 1964 from my instructor and original owner: 4x14 snare, 9x13 tom, 12x20 bass, 18" Italian ride. Non-serial number, there is a stamped date, March 23,1962 in the bass. The rims / lugs are nickel plate. The cymbal was originally mounted on the bass, I still have the "L" mount, but it just doesn't work (fit) with the big ride.

Added the 14x14 floor tom, 14" Zildjian hi-hats and 22" Zildjian med. ride in 1965. The 18 cracked so it was drilled to a sizzle, nice touch for brush rides. The 16" Zildjian custom A crash and non-branded china were added in 2007.

Played regularly in a dance band in the 60's while in high school then packed the kit away for 30+ years. Glad I didn't sell it as I am really enjoying beating on them again. Hope to get another dance / swing band going once the rust is removed from my wrists.

Seriously looking for a 16 or 18 square tom to add but any I find are terribly dear.

Hope you enjoy the picture.

I would be interested in any info about the original kit. Does not seem to be too common with the tom mounted on a separate stand rather than on the bass. The only other one I have seen is displayed is JoGa's shown in this forum! The cymbal mount on my bass is on top...

Den from NJ

Just changed the picture to include a 'new' 1965 16x16 SBP Ludwig Tom. A new set of heads, a little cleaning and she sounds and looks great!

Had to make a set of long legs for the new drum. Now looking for some 26" legs... seem pretty rare.

Den

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

That tom tom wasn't originally mounted on a separate stand. It was likely original to a separate set of drums -one with a 22 X 14 bass drum. It would have been mounted via a rail consolette. 20" bass drums were almost always paired with a 12" mounted and a 14 X 14 floor tom.

The snare drum is a Downbeat model. The finish is called Sky Blue Pearl. Cymbal mount should not have been on the top. I need to see more detailed pictures of the bass drum and all the interiors and badges to be sure of what's going on.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I would be interested in any info about the original kit. Does not seem to be too common with the tom mounted on a separate stand rather than on the bass. The only other one I have seen is displayed is JoGa's shown in this forum! The cymbal mount on my bass is on top...Den from NJ

Hey Den, great looking kit there! I use a snare stand for the 13" rack tom because the railmount used in the '60s is not really user-friendly, at least I was unable to position the tom where I needed it. The stand-solution works find and looks classy! I have the complete railmount installed on the kick only I don't use it.

Please show us more pics of your kit. Here's another one of my '66 Super Classic SBP showing the rail + the stand-setup in more detail.

Peace, Gabor

I am the best in a mediocre way.

www.myspace.com/meyoushe
www.myspace.com/tazmanordog
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi guys, thanks for the reply.

What you see is the way it was when I purchased the kit in '64. I knew the original owner, he was my instructor. I know the history of this set.. I remember playing it in his home / studio prior to buying it.

I just had all the heads off to replace them and clean up the drums. The kit had been in storage for over 30 years. Boy do new heads make a HUGE difference. There are no extra holes in the bass or the tom. There is no way anything was ever mounted any differently, the drums were made this way. The tom sits on a WFL stand, always has, that fits the era, early 60's.

As for badges; they are consistant with '62 Ludwigs. All orignal with no serial #'s. The floor tom was added by me in '65 and the badge has a serial # from late '64 early '65. It all fits.

Perhaps the drums were bought as seperates rather than as a pre-made kit. he used the original 3 piece set in a small dance / jazz band and for teaching. We just may never know.

Bottom line is the kit sounds great... big resonate sound for a small kit. Almost too resonate...

Would love any suggestions on tuning the snare. it is very loud, very resonate, almost uncontrolable. I keep it pretty well muffled or it just dominates everything.

I am in the market for a 'matching' sbp 16x16 floor tom, interesting that there are two of them on eBay. With a bit of luck one will be added to this set.

Thanks for the replies, great forum, nice to be pounding the 'skins' again and talking drum trash.

DenS

PS.. Will add some more pics. you know how it is, drum or take pictures.... guess what wins?

Posted on 16 years ago

Just added a mid-60's 16x16. Now need to find some long (26") legs for it. It came with a set @ 18", hardly long enough.

Will post a pic when i get a chance.

DenS

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here