Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

1961 Slingerland Hollywood Ace Restoration

Hi guys,

Recently picked up this Slingy Hollywood Ace (April 1961) off ebay as my next project. The shell itself is in really great shape - no extra holes or ring separation. The wrap has a ton of orange staining that I think I can possibly remove (at least some of it). The chrome is in pretty bad shape throughout, especially on the lugs and rims where there are scratches or "spiderwebbing". Speaking of spiderwebs, there were plenty of real ones inside the drum and a live spider to boot (at no extra charge ;) ). I need to pick up some snares though. Anyone know what type of snares were used on the Aces?

Ill post more pics when cleaning gets under way.

James

“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 13 years ago

I have a mid 60's hollywood ace, my favorite! That one should clean up nice. I put "Puresound" custom 20's on mine.

Posted on 13 years ago

good luck on the snare i think she will clean up easier than you think . and when your done she will be a keeper for sure .

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago

Cleaned the wrap last night and you guys were right - it came out nice and shiny. The orange spots came off with a little dawn detergent and a damp sponge. No big deal. Followed that up with Novus 1 and 2 for shine and polish. I love this hobby. Hopefully I'll have a chance at cleaning the hardware this weekend. I'll post more pics then.

James

1 attachments
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” - Charles Darwin
Posted on 13 years ago

Looks Great! Any chance you post pics of the edge profile and the snare bed? Thanks.

Larry

Posted on 13 years ago

Hi Larry. Thanks! Here are pics of the snare bed. I tried my best here with the photos, hope its what you were looking for.

James

3 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

Finally got around to taking of photo of the Ace all cleaned up. Picked up some Pure Sound custom 20 snare wires and a coated ambassador for the batter. Still working on getting the sound just right. Any tips? Not bad for a $90 find :)

James

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

I use calf on mine, sounds good with all kinds of tunings. Little loose on top.

Posted on 13 years ago

Cool. I bet the calf sounds great. Where do you get it from?

James

Posted on 13 years ago

Right here from JRichard. Nice head at a great price!

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here