Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

1961 Ludwig Bass Drum Claws hang on head rim

From what I was told by the local drum shop, these old Ludwigs were designed for skin heads and the rims were much smaller.

All the modern heads I looked at had the same style of rim and they all have the same problem...

The problem is that the claw hangs up on the head rim (is that what it's called?).

So, instead of having the hoop provide a nice even pressure all the way around the head, I have 16 pressure points to tune the drum.

And, before you say, "just jump them over it", you obviously have not had this problem. I would have to do some serious bending on the claws to get them to jump over that ridge on both sides. Real real serious bending.

It's obviously not a common problem because I couldn't find anything with the search engine.

The guy at the drum shop just not to worry about it but, I'm not one to forget about something I know isn't right. LOL

Check out the pics. You can see how the claw hangs on the rim of the head. I know it doesn't look like much but it really is.

LOL Those close-up pics show I left some wax in the threads. Looks like it's time to pull out the toothbrush again. LOL

TIA

4 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

From KapperDog

From what I was told by the local drum shop, these old Ludwigs were designed for skin heads and the rims were much smaller.All the modern heads I looked at had the same style of rim and they all have the same problem...The problem is that the claw hangs up on the head rim (is that what it's called?).So, instead of having the hoop provide a nice even pressure all the way around the head, I have 16 pressure points to tune the drum.And, before you say, "just jump them over it", you obviously have not had this problem. I would have to do some serious bending on the claws to get them to jump over that ridge on both sides. Real real serious bending.It's obviously not a common problem because I couldn't find anything with the search engine.The guy at the drum shop just not to worry about it but, I'm not one to forget about something I know isn't right. LOLCheck out the pics. You can see how the claw hangs on the rim of the head. I know it doesn't look like much but it really is.LOL Those close-up pics show I left some wax in the threads. Looks like it's time to pull out the toothbrush again. LOLTIA

what brand drums is this and the bass drum claws and the hoops what brand are they??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I have had this problem. You can find a head with a smaller collar (head rim). Ludwig heads are a little smaller, i think. You can also use a deeper hoop. I did this on one of my club dates. That being said, you really should be able to get it to jump over.

I suppose you could also do a little filing to the collar right at each point, too...

-64 Ludwig Black Oyster Classic kit 22,13,16
-65 Leedy BDP 22,13,16
-65 Ludwig WMP Clubdate 20,12,14
-66 Ludwig Red sparkle Downbeat
-60's Gretsch RB Green Glass 22,13,16
Lots of cymbals, snares and orphans, old and newish
Posted on 14 years ago

From olddrums

I have had this problem. You can find a head with a smaller collar (head rim). Ludwig heads are a little smaller, i think. You can also use a deeper hoop. I did this on one of my club dates. That being said, you really should be able to get it to jump over. I suppose you could also do a little filing to the collar right at each point, too...

thats where i was going olddrums, the hoops aren't wide enough or aftermarket parts?? I like the part where the drum fool told him the claws they where made for calf skin heads?? the claws on my 70's ludwigs are the same width as my 40's wfl's,,Bump ok??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

From vintagemore2000

what brand drums is this and the bass drum claws and the hoops what brand are they??

It's a 1961 Ludwig. The hoops, claws and rods are all the original parts.

Posted on 14 years ago

From olddrums

I have had this problem. You can find a head with a smaller collar (head rim). Ludwig heads are a little smaller, i think.

Thanks. I'll check around and see what I can find.

Posted on 14 years ago

From KapperDog

Thanks. I'll check around and see what I can find.

KapperDog here is the same view pics on a wfl bass drum with ludwig head on the front and a remo on the back the claws sit the same on both heads! hope this helps!

Posted on 14 years ago

Maybe you could put some rubber or felt pieces in the hook of the claws to gain the needed clearance. Add a little protection for the hoops too.

Posted on 14 years ago

hmmm...niether of my MIJ heads suffer from this. The claws are designed to ride above the rim of the head. I'll show you later.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here