Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

1960's Supersensitive question

Hi Y'all,

I have a 1960 ish COB Ludwig supersensitive snare. I have an original snare for it with the mixed gut/wire snare cords/wires with the individual adjustable wires.

Problem: The gut cords have shrunk over time and are not of equal length and are so short now that the wire snares cannot be tightened far enough to be usable. Even with the adjusters all the way out, they just hang there. The wires are quite oxidized as well.

Question: I want to rebuild the snare wire assembly. Does anyone know where I can get plain snare wires? Like 6 pieces about 16" long? Howz about the gut strings? How the little crimp fittings? Any ideas or advice?

Thanks!

Tim

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi, I have a similar vintage supersensitive with the all wire adjustable snares and I have not found a solution yo your problem either. I you find someone, please let me know.--THanks Ken

Posted on 16 years ago

Here's two possible solutions, actually three...

1. remove the gut snares (if possible). Keep them off.

Or you can re-stretch them by soaking them for a few minutes in water and wire one end to a nail or hook (in your basement or garage) and weight the other end. Leave for a day or so to check on the length, if it's still short re-wet and hang. It will eventually stretch to a good length. (if the guts are real old they might break so be warned).

2. Plain or loose snare wires are not sold by anyone you'd have to buy a new set of snares (extended size) and cut or de-solder the wires off and replace the ones on your old one. You'll need a high temp solder tool and at least 60% silver solder, 80% would be better.

3. Buy a new replacement set that comes close. You may need to jerry-rig with wire, clips or drilling holes. Weigh your options.

a possible solution: replace gut and wire with heavy gage fishing line.

I made my own this way for an old snare. It works! Do you know you Boy Scout/Sailor knots? You'll need to tie a few tight knots to keep them from coming undone.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here