Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

1960s Super Classic - unususal dampening

I thoght I'd share some pictures. I just found myself the care-taker of a 1960s Super Classic kit. It really isn't in great condition, but I thought I should give it a try: clean it up, fix small things etc. First, I took the drum heads off and I started with the bass drum. Just looking at the drum, I realized the front head has been painted with what appears to be regular wall-paint, roughly applied with a brush. The drum-head turned out to be a calf-skin with a wooden flesh hopp, my guess is that it came from an older drumkit (1940s or 1950s?) and was painted simply to look better. Anyway, I opened the drum and found a large piece of foam that had been glued to the head, and then secured with gaffa.

I have long wanted to try using calf-skins, but I'm not sure I will be able to restore this one.

1 attachments
1962-1965 Ludwig Champagne Sparkle
1965 Supraphonic
1978 Tama Royalstar with concert toms
1986 Tama Techstar
1990's Sonor Sonic Plus II
Posted on 6 years ago

The batter head was muffled too, but in I style I remember. I did the same with my toms in the 1980s - Tama Imperial Star concert toms with Remo CS on top. This one is an old Emperor and I'll simply replace it.

Also, here is a close up of the painted head, hopefully you can see that there is tape left on the head when it was painted. The last picture is the front head after I ripped the foam off. Lots of glue there.

1965 Supraphonic
1986 Tama Techstar
Posted on 6 years ago

And there is a 16" floor tom as well. This is a nice one: the foam has been glued not to the head but rather directly to the shell (so you don't have to replace it when changing heads, I guess). Foam came off - glue stayed on.

1965 Supraphonic
1986 Tama Techstar
Posted on 6 years ago

That's so strange - like the red felt muffler right there wasn't doing the job??

-john

From Mattias

And there is a 16" floor tom as well. This is a nice one: the foam has been glued not to the head but rather directly to the shell (so you don't have to replace it when changing heads, I guess). Foam came off - glue stayed on.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 6 years ago

Wowza.........what the H happened to the inside of that bass drum?

Posted on 6 years ago

Judging from the state of the bearing edges, the bass and toms have been played without bottom heads and probably transported extensively without any bags or cases. I guess a previous owner thought the clear laquer inside of the bass drum looked dull and decided to spice it up with some neon-green spray paint. Let's hope the audience appreciated it!

Hopefully, I'll be able to rub it off with some abrasive paper, but for the time being I'll just leave it as it is.

1965 Supraphonic
1986 Tama Techstar
Posted on 6 years ago

Tha last two inches of shell closest to the batter head are clear from paint, so I suppose the batter head and some muffling was left on when it was painted. That's good!

1965 Supraphonic
1986 Tama Techstar
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here