Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

1960's Slingerland set

Hi folks, I'm in the process of cleaning up my Vintage Slingerland kit. I removed the T-rods and claws from the kick side of the bass drum and noticed that the wooden hoop had a split that the previous owner tried to glue. They didn't do a good job, so here are my questions.

1-Should I heat the glued area and try to separate the damaged area and try to re-glue? The other area show is where the pedal slides under. How do I repair that?

2-I'm missing the front hoop. I managed to find someone with the era specific hoop but there is no WMP inlay. Is it a good idea to buy the hoop and find the inlay somewhere else?

Thanks in advance,

David

Posted on 9 years ago

Here are the images. Forgot to add to thread.

2 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

the bass drum hoop the split is wide enough just use wood glue,place it on the split laying side ways and let the glue run into the split. place the clamps over the split in 6 hours it will be set up but I let it sit for 24 hours. I have precision screw drivers that I shaped to pry wood separation like on your shell and do the samething as you did with the wood hoop.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Thank you. The split was glued and it dried not completely together. It dried open like it's shown in photo. If I add glue I don't think it will close unless I remove existing dried glue. Should I try to scrape it away?

Thanks,

David

Posted on 9 years ago

Yes, remove as much old glue as possible. Take some 80 grit sand paper and fold it over so you have a two sided piece of sand paper. Pry open the split a little bit if necessary and insert the sand paper into the split. Use the two side paper to sand away the old glue, sanding both sides of the split at the same time. Get it to where the two sides will come back together nice and tight without a lot of force. Then glue and clamp.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

You might be better off removing the inlay. Far as I know the Slingerland inlays were not glued in just stapled at the ends. Remove the staples with a small regular screwdriver and carefully remove the inlay. This will let you get right at the damage. Even if it seperates that's ok because you want to remove as much of the old dry glue as you can. Use a good wood glue to repair. Stuff like Gorilla glue is not good as it expands when it dries. Glue like Tightbond or the likes is better. Then clamp tight like the guys said. Far as a new hoop you can just buy a nice used hoop with a 1/2" inlay groove. If you can find one with the marine pearl cool but if not you can order cut inlays from most drum part vendors. I'd suggest the vintage marine pearl as it'll be the closest to the original aged WMP.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thank you guys for your help. All very good info and suggestions.

David

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here