Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

1960's Pearl Drums

So I bought these two drums off my local craigslist.

My very first drum set was a set of Pearls that was probably from the late 70's or early 80's so I kind of have a soft spot for Pearl drums.

I have to say that although they look nice and I know they sound good modern Pearl drums just don't blow my skirt up if you know what I mean.

These drums on the other hand have caught my attention.

I am trying to figure out what model they are and what year they were made.

They are not the phenolic shells that Pearl used in the late 60's. They are plywood. I can see 6 or 7 plys on the bass drum and 5 or 6 on the tom.

The bass has 10 lugs and the tom has a "stick saver" style hoop with the rolled inward top lip.

There are no extra holes in either drum. :cool:

None of the sets in the 1966 catalog on this site match these drums.

The Super Deluxe kit in the 1968 catalog sort of looks like it with different spurs. I believe by 68 the Super Deluxe had the phenolic shells. It is the only 10 lug bass drum in the catalog.

Are there any other sources for catalogs online?

I have been searching.

If anyone has any thoughts on these or extra parts for sale let me know. :D

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 8 years ago

I think you're on the right track that these are around 1967-68. Your kit is close to the Super Deluxe, but with different spurs, which you've already noticed. By 1969, Pearl changed the lug design, so I really think we can be safe with a 1968. Pearl, like even the American companies, probably had many styles and configurations that never made it into the catalogs. Hope this helps a little!

-Mark

Posted on 8 years ago

Don't know much about your drums, but that is one sweet finish ! I did once own a Pearl Blue Sparkle kit with the same interiors and script badge, and i'm guessing that mine was a '68 as well cause it had the same lug design.. I'm sure they'll sound great, as did mine.

That's one kit i regret selling, along with my Rogers holiday, and Ludwig Bowling Oyster Black drum kits..If i had kept those kits, i would've been all "set"..LoLoLoLoLame

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am going to be on the hunt for a 13" tom.

I don't care if the finish matches as long as the lugs do.

Finding one in this finish will probably end up being impossible.

I'll take what I can get. :cool:

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 8 years ago

From macr0w

Thanks for the replies guys.I am going to be on the hunt for a 13" tom.I don't care if the finish matches as long as the lugs do.Finding one in this finish will probably end up being impossible.I'll take what I can get. :cool:

Good luck ! One finish that is common, close to your drums' finish and would actually look cool , is Pearl's 60's Tiger Eye Pearl finish-a-k-a-Root Beer Swirl..

It's more on the copper side of color, but is the exact finish.

Some will pop up from time to time..

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here