Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

1960's Ludwig

Hi, I am in Western Australia and vintage kits are quite hard to come by here. I am aware that there are issues with the following kit but just wondering what is a ballpark figure that I should be willing to pay?

1960s Silver Sparkle Ludwig kit with original bass drum cymbal arm. BD 22x14, MT 13x9 and FT 16x16. All drums are nice and round and all bearing edges are in good shape.

Bass drum:

The bass drum is from around 1962-63. The interior is painted original white Resa-cote. This is a little scruffy. The bass drum hoops are original and have been restored and re-painted and have the original inlays. The chrome is extremely nice with slight pitting of the chrome on the lugs and minor scratching on the T bolts. The bass drum spurs and mounts are original but the bass drum cymbal arm mount has been replaced with a new one and is rock solid. The cymbal arm is original early 60s except for the felts.

The finish on the bass drum has aged in some areas. This is minor and you have to look for it. It seems to be restricted to the lower sides and underneath the drum. It has areas that are slightly amber/yellow.

The rail consolette is not original (1970s), and has some rust on the drummers side.

Four tension bolts and claws are not original.They are Premier.

Mounted Tom:

The mounted tom is a from around 1967/1968. It has been refinished in silver sparkle to match the rest of the kit. It has a keystone badge without a serial number which is not its original badge. It has been repainted white inside. One hoop has been replaced. The chrome is excellent. The muffler is the dial type which I also don't think is original.

Floor Tom:

The floor tom is from around 1965/66. It has serial number 263865. It has been repainted white inside. One hoop is not original. The floor tom legs are also not original. The chrome on the lugs is excellent. The muffler is a the dial type and is not original??? (I don't think so) A piece of finish had been torn away from the seam and a new piece patched in.

The sound of this kit is impressive. The bass drum and the floor tom seem most comfortable when tuned low an the mounted tom has a great deal of range.

Cheers

Posted on 15 years ago

Well...I'm not the best at this, but I've purchased quite a few kits over the last handful of months (not all great deals). I would guess low end 425, with a high end at 575. This is US dollars on this side of the pond. There's so much 'wrong' with this kit that it doesn't warrant the good price tag. But, it sounds like it could be a real nice players kit with a bit of work and investment. I may be off by a Hecto-bill or more, but it's close enough for government work.

Posted on 15 years ago

Hello I have a Slingerland 1960s 12,14,20 and a 1960s 12,14,18 bass, a Slingerland (12),13,16,22 ...A Rogers Blue Onyx 12,14,20 a Blue Onyx 13,16,22, Also PLUS tons of other vintage cymbals, drum kits (sets), snares, loose drums, stands, pedals. parts and books thanks

It would be much faster if you email me directly at: [email]drums@bellsouth.net[/email] thanks

I will ship to Austrailia

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here