Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

1960s Ludwig virgin bass drum

Hey everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

So, I just acquired a couple of Ludwig drums today, and I was curious about what they're worth. They are a 20"x14" virgin Club Date bass drum (no tom mount, no spurs...just lug casings and badge) and a Pioneer snare (with baseball bat muffler). Both drums have keystone badges, blue sparkle wrap, white interiors, and are in pretty close to immaculate condition, inside and out, except a few tiny scratches on the sparkle and a little rust on a couple of the tension rods. I'll figure out the year from the serial numbers sometime soon.

I'm wondering what the bass drum is worth compared to a non-virgin shell. Granted, it has club date lug casings, so it might not be the most valuable drum ever, but still...

I've looked through the catalogs at vintagedrumguide, and I couldn't find a kick/snare combo without the bass drum being single-tension rod tuned. Back in the day, was it possible or even common to buy just parts of the kits? I see in the catalogs that the pieces were individually priced out. I'm trying to decide whether to build a kit around them or to sell them if they're collectable or valuable (I don't really want to collect at this point, and I don't want to chance ruining them if they are valuable at all). Any insight would be great. Thanks!

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Well...those sound like some nice drums.

If you were to finish out and keep them, I would urge you to finish out the bass drum with original spurs and tom mount (possibly a consolette rail of that era). Match the plating also (chrome or nickel).

You could also just get some vintage hoop-clip-mounted Luddy spurs...that may be what it had if it ws once used as a floor-bass-kick drum.

You can go either way...it's one of those Q's.

It is unusual to find an old bass drum with only the lugs....I would guess that MAY make it worth a bit more than a tricked-out original...but I dunno.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here