Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

1960s Ludwig Acrolite Snare ????

Hi guys ,

new to the forum and vintage drums and need some help....I just purchased this off ebay......http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=ADME:B:BCA:US:11&Item=7358587343 ..... and I think that the snare...(discovered after the fact), is in fact 1970s and beyond rather than 1960s given the blue/olive badge and no keystone badge...can anyone help...I may have been a bit too anxious here ???....

:confused:

Many thanks

Aster

Posted on 18 years ago

You are correct in your date on the drum. It is definately not 60's.

Still a nice drum and a good price for what they are selling for. I have had more then a few and sold them for about that price.

David

Webmaster

Posted on 18 years ago

Did you contact the seller about this and if so, what did they say? Have you posted feedback on the item?

I also notice they have a set of "Vintage" Sabian B8 hihats for sale. Not my idea of Vintage personally.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 18 years ago

I disagree. It very well COULD be a 1969 Acrolite...which, technically WOULD make it a "60's" drum. The B/O badges with the sharp corners were early B/O. In any regard, that looks like an exceptionally nice Acrolite drum and I would have been more than pleased to get a drum like that for $105.00!! That drum is FIFTY times the drum that most new snare drums are. The Acrolite is one of the best all-around snare drums in existence regardless of price and that is a fact. The Acrolite is, basically an 8-lug, ludalloy Supra. It's the same exact shell -except no chrome finish and I actually prefer the 8-lug snare drums as opposed to the 10-lug snare drums, anyway.

You got yourself a heck of a snare drum, there, buddy! Play it for awhile and get back to me and tell me if I am wrong!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks guys for your advice !!

FYI , I am going ahead with the purchase.....

Thanks again

Keep on Pl

Posted on 18 years ago

Good Points O-Lug!! Based on the 7 digit serial number could it still be a 69?

Most of the Ludwig dating guides put the 7 digit numbers later in the 70's.

I'm usually not one to get into the finer details and definitely not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

What is your take on the serial number??? Besides Ludwig was very inconsistent

David

Webmaster

Quoted post

I disagree. It very well COULD be a 1969 Acrolite...which, technically WOULD make it a "60's" drum. The B/O badges with the sharp corners were early B/O. In any regard, that looks like an exceptionally nice Acrolite drum and I would have been more than pleased to get a drum like that for $105.00!! That drum is FIFTY times the drum that most new snare drums are. The Acrolite is one of the best all-around snare drums in existence regardless of price and that is a fact. The Acrolite is, basically an 8-lug, ludalloy Supra. It's the same exact shell -except no chrome finish and I actually prefer the 8-lug snare drums as opposed to the 10-lug snare drums, anyway. You got yourself a heck of a snare drum, there, buddy! Play it for awhile and get back to me and tell me if I am wrong!

Posted on 18 years ago

Good decision to get that drum. How can you go wrong? There's virtually no way to get a bad Acrolite as far as I'm concerned! I have one of the most horrible Acrolites in existence and it smokes most of my other drums.

RE: the B/O badge...

I'm not sure how Ludwig worked their serial number thing with the badges. I have been told many things, too, but, suffice it to say, that type of B/O badge appeared in 1969, so that drum could potentially be a '69. It's not as if the drum, itself, would be different in any way whether or not it was a late 60's/early 70's B/O. Physically, it's the same drum.

I just checked my blue sparkle Big Beat kit from 1970 and both the bass drum and tomtom are badged with NO serial numbers. The space for them is there, but there are no numbers. However, the floor tom has a 7-digit number. I KNOW these drums are matched, too, because I bought them from the original owner who ordered the kit in......(drum roll).....1969!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Thanks for the info, it all makes sense and I can see the fine line between the 69 and 70 determination.

Hey, do you have a B/O with rounded corners in your collection?? I need a nice picture of one to complete the badges on my Ludwig page.

Thanks again for the help on the forum and this topic.

David

Webmaster

Quoted post

Good decision to get that drum. How can you go wrong? There's virtually no way to get a bad Acrolite as far as I'm concerned! I have one of the most horrible Acrolites in existence and it smokes most of my other drums. RE: the B/O badge... I'm not sure how Ludwig worked their serial number thing with the badges. I have been told many things, too, but, suffice it to say, that type of B/O badge appeared in 1969, so that drum could potentially be a '69. It's not as if the drum, itself, would be different in any way whether or not it was a late 60's/early 70's B/O. Physically, it's the same drum. I just checked my blue sparkle Big Beat kit from 1970 and both the bass drum and tomtom are badged with NO serial numbers. The space for them is there, but there are no numbers. However, the floor tom has a 7-digit number. I KNOW these drums are matched, too, because I bought them from the original owner who ordered the kit in......(drum roll).....1969!

Posted on 18 years ago

Dave

I am not sure if this is a rounded badge but here is one for you to look at. It is from my Coliseum.

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL177/1300059/2710173/117757378.jpg

Drumminggal Keep on Pl

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here