Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

1960's Kent Kit w/restored floortom.

FInally got the floor tom done and lugged the cans up to the studio for a couple of pics. Although I've been gigging my red sparkle Kent kit and loving it, these are my favorites I think.

Enjoy!

1 attachments
Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]That looks niiiiiice !

How did you get that sheen on the wraps ? Every old Kent sparkle drum I have ever come across had wraps which were really spent....you could run your hand across 'em and feel texture....

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Jaye - Yeah, the pictures don't do the kit justice. It *looks* like it's got a clearcoat over the wrap.

I also agree about the Kent wraps - Most of my Kents came to me looking pretty dull and some, as you said, are so bad that you can feel the pores in the wrap when you run your hand over them.

My wrap resto process is pretty simple - I strip the hardware and give the shell a good cleaning with a non-abrasive cleaner such as 409, etc... usually removes a good amount of crud. I never spray the shell, I always spray the rag and clean that way.

Next, I use a clear coat safe product like Mothers Sealer & Glaze on the entire wrap. It removes swirls, fine scratches, etc... you may have to go over deeper scratches a few times as it's not terribly abrasive. This leaves the wrap with a good shine.

Lastly, I give the shell a good coat or two of Mothers Carnauba Wax and hand buff to a nice shine. The carnauba wax is pretty tough once it hardens and I usually just lightly dust the drums now and then to keep them looking good.

The kick, rack tom and snare in the photo were actually restored about 2 years ago. I haven't done anything to them except dust them off now and then.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Great tips...do you apply the sealer/glaze with a brush or with a rag ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

It's a thick-ish liquid, so I squirt a bit onto a clean rag and apply by hand, rubbing in small circles with a light and even pressure. If you do it right, you're left with a hazy surface. You then wait about a minute and take a different clean rag and buff it till it shines.

When applying again, use a clean section of your first rag, not the same bit you used before.

I usually do a small section at a time, say 4" X 4" or less. Just keep track of where you've been and which direction you are going. It's usually pretty obvious when you look across the wrap under some light.

I can't comment on how this works with anything other than sparkle wraps. Pretty sure it would NOT work on a satin flame so use at your own risk. For sparkles, it's a pretty good deal though.

If anyone is interested, I could do a short article with pictures of each step.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Go for it...this is a pretty big subject, trying to bring back a sparkle wrap. There is a dearth of info on it....other than that webpage I stumble across now and again which describes a wet-sanding method that I would NEVER dare try on a vintage sparkle wrap....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here