Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

1960s Gretsch 3 drums

A friend recently passed away and his wife contacted me about his drums. His wife contacted me to say he wanted her to ask me if I'd help sell his drums and gear. I am honoured to help.

I have all the gear at my home as of last Sunday.

First I would like to get feedback here on what would be a fare price for all the gear... fare for both buyer and seller.

The drums:

14x20 bass

8x12 tom

14x14 floortom

Dixon 3.5 x14 Piccolo Maple shell.

The Gretsch drums have alterations and some extra holes. The original wrap finish was removed shortly after my friend bought them ...used... from the original owner in the early 60s. I can't varify the exact time-frame.

I'm thinking if these drums are 62 or later the Paper Tags were removed when refinished. But if they are 60, 61 or early 62 they may have not have had Paper Tags.

The original Rail Mount was removed at some point later.... I'm pretty sure it's the Gretsch double bd mount. There is an extra bolt... hole plug?... beside the dbl bd mount. The original bd grommeted badge is long gone. I'm only guessing the tacked tom badge in line with the Pratt mute is there because whomever did the work didn't want to drill a new hole for the badge. The double tom mount is right where the original badge was... it looks like. The original bass drum hoops were switched out when the wrap was removed... I'm guessing. Different looking Spurs too... solid!

The floortom and rack tom each have one non-Gretsch lug. Again.. my guess is maybe back in the day... decades before the Internet... andiving in Canada... spare parts were difficult to find sometimes. The bass shell has an extra lug hole that is hidden when the present longer lug is in place. This bigger non- Gretsch lug has the same screwhole pattern... same screw he centres. The non-Gretsch floortom lug appears to have the same screw centres... no extra hole there... but it has the later hexhead screws.

A floortom Diamond leg plate wingscrew hole has been drilled out... probably stripped... and a bolt to fit applied... clunky but it works ha.

The edges are decent... worn with a small chip here and there but nothing serious.

The DIXON PICCOLO snare is in great shape and is a fare match in finish to the Gretsch drums.

These drums are gorgeous even with the extra holes and alterations. For me they have a Charlie-Watts-ish vibe even though different sizes and 5 or more years newer.

The 'worts' on these beauties can be fixed. In the words of a wood-worker friend 'it's just wood... it can be repaired.'

The few parts/hardware and bd hoops that are non-Gretsch can be replaced.

A great option would be to wrap these. There are so many to choose from that I think that might be difficult.

There are cymbals too but no high end pieces.

I haven't looked closely or photographed the cymbal stands and

Bass drum pedal. The hihat stand is NETWORKS and may be under $50 used. It does work fine. The bass drum pedal an old Pearl. The cymbals are Sabian, a CB, a Zildgian 8" splash made in Canada and a 17" A Zildjian Sizzle Ride made in the usa... that appears to have been cut-down Yikes! This cymbal was mounyed on the wall of my late friends music studio. I don't know the story behind it... his wife asked me to take it with a the gear on Sunday.

I know this is wordy and I'm hoping you can help with a rough fare price would be.

I'll put a few photos here of the drums and if anyone wants more detailed photos I'll do that.

Posted on 1 year ago

The drums have been altered significantly over time and the cymbals are a mixed lot of budget B8 stuff, etc.

The drums can be rewrappd and original parts can be found, but in their present condition, I'd safely say they are valued at around $700 or so. Others may disagree.

'23 DW Collector's, Black Galaxy: 13/16/18/22/14 sn.
'01 DW Collector's, Oyster White: 8/10/12/14/16/22.
'24 DW Performance, Gold Sparkle, 12/14/20.
'59-ish Slingerland Pink Sparkle, 13/16/22.

'72 Slingerland Red Tiger Pearl: 12/13/16/16/22.
'70ish Slingerland Merlot Sparkle rewrap: 13/16/24.

'68ish Slingerland rewrap: 13/16/22.

'69 Rogers Holiday, Red Onyx: 13/16/24
'67 Ludwig Burgundy Sparkle: 12/13/16/22.
'70-ish Ludwig Std, Burgundy Oyster: 13/16/22.
'69-ish MIJ Drum Mate: Peacock Pearl: 13/16/22.
'67-ish MIJ Crown, Red Sparkle, 12/13/16/22.

'67-ish,. MIJ Drum Mate, Blue Oyster, 12/13/16/22.

Posted on 1 year ago

$700usd... that's about $960 cdn.Thank you for your reply. I've had an offer of $1000 cdn for the 3 drums only. I'll wait to see what other's will say. Personally, I would wrap them, redo edges to the original intent, buy a few era-correct parts needed and find a nice 4160 metal snare. These drums would sing with new life. Because the tom already has the diamond plate mount I'd buy the re-issued Rail Mount (I actually have one I bought from Maxwell that I've mnever used). But, ya... around $1000 seems fare at this point.

Gary in West Kelowna. B.C. Canada

Posted on 1 year ago

My estimate for the drums only: 1200.

Posted on 1 year ago

From nickmues

They're nice drums. The cymbals and hardware low-end and all that gear may be difficult to sell other than yardage prices locally.

Before I replied above at the $700usd estimate I did an educated guess of the 3 drum value... going buy what I've bought over the year. Your estimate of $1200... if that's usd?... is almost spot on to my guess in usd$$.

I didn't want to put my estimate in before I saw other estimates here. But it seems we're close.

Gary

Thank you.

Posted on 1 year ago

I will probably have to sell the hardware separately from the drums as it is all used low-end stuff. It's heavy and any shipping would kill the deal.

Pictured here are the 4 drums, a Pearl double pedal missing double parts... was only used as a single pedal with these drums..., various low-end stands, low-end cymbals other than an 8 Zildjian Splash MI CANADA, a DIXON throne and two cowbell.

1 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

nice drums!

.................................................. ......Joe
Posted on 1 year ago

From nickmues

Thank you. How did you arrive at $1200 and is that us$$?

I'm about to list them and I've had a lot of input for value some here and some elsewhere. I've been offered about $700usd but from what I've read and seen elsewhere that's at the low end. But that person is the only one willing to pay at this point. After today... I'm thinking $1200usd as well. They're nice drums... solid... and would easily be brought into crazy-beautiful all Gretsch view again.

Posted on 1 year ago

300 bass drum

200 tom tom

600 floor tom

100 snare

yes US Dollars

Posted on 1 year ago

From nickmues

300 bass drum200 tom tom600 floor tom100 snareyes US Dollars

Thank you.

I just posted the 3 drums for $1300 usd. I went with the upper end of quotes here. I'd rather not ship and I've been offered $1000 cdn... about $700usd for the 3 Gretsch drums locally.

I'm in West Kelowna BC Canada so not much of a local market.

I'll wait to see how it goes.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here