Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.05846%

1960 COB Supra questions

hi there. i just got my "new" 1960 COB Supra (super 400) today. amazing drum. flowers2 it has the heavy brass shell, welded seam, crimped snare beds, rolled bearing edges, the whole bunch.... also COB rims...

i cleaned the drum now, and took it apart.

as opposed to a 1966 super sensitive that i have the imperial lugs are really different though, at least from the inside. there is not as much space in the 1960 ones as in the 1966 ones. when did that change? Also they seem to be very heavy, could they be COB as well???? a magnet does not seem to stick.

also the drum has a p83 strainer. the strainer and the buttend both have a WFL sign engraved. could this be a sign of the drum being a "transition of a transition", so an early 1960s drum? the badge is ludwig keystone without serial of course.....

been waiting for a drum like this for long, me happy.... Clapping Happy2

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah, great snare, you'll love it.

I've attached a photo of pg.244, Rob Cooks' Ludwig Book about the Imperial lugs.

Hope that's alright w/ our Webmaster, and of course Rob Cook.

The WFL stamps on the strainer and butt seem right for the time.

Put up some pics, I have a snare from the same era.

Try some 40-strand wires on it.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

hi there.

thanks for the reply.

here's some pics of the drum.

i cleaned it all up now. put on ambassador hazy as resonant and a remo coated Vintage A as batter. the sound is truly unreal...

another question: i know these drums are considered to be the holy grail of vintage drums by some drummers... is this "only" because of the amazing sound (well, that alone would be my reason) or do other people see more reasons for that?

Posted on 15 years ago

Looks Great.

That may be another reason....

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here