Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

1959 Ludwig Club Dates

I recently bought a set of '59 transition badge Club Dates and had a few questions. I'm replacing the original calfskin heads with fiberskyns, and was wondering if I should do anything to the bearing edges before I cover them. They all look great, but they're really dry. Should the edges be waxed or buffed or something to protect them, or just left alone?

Secondly, all the lugs and hoops and tom mount hardware is definitely nickel, but it looks to me like the t-rods and bass drum claws are chrome. Is this just something that happened in the transition from WFL to Ludwig, or am I bad at figuring out finishes? Once they get a little more put together I'll post some pics.

Thanks!

Troy

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hi. If the edges look solid and even, you don't have to do anything. if you wanna you could light-sand (like 120 or 180 grade paper) and then apply 2 or 3 coats of tung oil, as 12-hr. increments, and let dry for a couple of days...but there isn't any particular reason to if the edges look good.

Take some cleaner to one of the lugs andd see perhaps if it is just patina'd chrome, and not nickel.

Could also be that, over time...the original nickel rods were replaced with chroms....as nickel became less available as the years marched on...

can you post some pics ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks Jaye. Here's some (bad) pictures of the nickel versus chrome. The light doesn't help at all, but it seems like the nickel lug has an almost creamy yellow vibe to it, with the tarnish, and the claw is more of the blue shiny chrome vibe.

Also, for some reason, the lugs and hoops are all in pretty much perfect shape while most of the t-rods and claws have spots of rust.

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here