Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

1959 Ludwig 12,14,18 Bop Kit

1959 Ludwig Transition Badge Bop Kit 12 x 8, 14 x 14, 18 x 13". Original Jet Black Cortex wrap. Mahogany interior on 12 and 18" and Beautiful maple inner ply on the 14" floor tom. Non original hoops on the bass were 2" wide when I found these so I cut them down about 1/2" and routed out the inlay channels to accept some 60s silver sparkle inlays that I had laying around. Bass had been previously cut down from 14" depth to 13" depth at some point. Non original reinforcement ring and edge were in pretty rough shape so I dressed them up and they now look and function as they should. I found this with MIJ lugs on the bass that someone drilled one extra hole per lug to install. Luckily, the correct Ludwig Bass drum lugs barely cover the extra hole so they are not visible from the outside. Rail consolette was redrilled and moved to a center position at some point as well. Toms are in great unaltered condition. COB hoops on toms. After a full disassembly, cleaning, polishing and rummaging through my parts bins for the correct parts I am very happy with how this kit turned out. After some consideration I have decided that the initials on the bass will stay as part of the character and history of the set.

More pics here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007221465291&sk=photos&collection_token=100007221465291%3A2305272732%3A69&set=a.1636455483271818.1073741873.100007221465291&type=3

Posted on 8 years ago

That's first class work Randy. Thanks for the pics. They are really nice. That black factory wrap is a winner for sure. I've seen some Downbeat and Jazz Combo Transition badge snares in that wrap as well. Well done.

Mike

Posted on 8 years ago

That kit looks first class. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks guys! I also have a Pre Serial 13,16,22 in this same finish in line for a good clean up when I get around to it.

Posted on 8 years ago

Super looking set-up and nice work pulling it back together. The initials are really something too.

Posted on 8 years ago

Randy73, Excellent job my friend. This by-the-way is the only Ludwig TRANS bop kit I have ever seen in my many years of collecting them cool bop kits. You have done a fantastic job bringing her back. Congrats on a job well done.

~ A true Gretsch & Camco fanatic ~
Posted on 8 years ago

I think that's in the Ludwig Owner's Manual, cutting the shell down and putting the MIJ lugs on there? Maybe not...

That bass drum was an "emotional rescue". Nice custom BD hoop work and overall a bit of a wonder to behold that kit now.

Mitch

Posted on 8 years ago

From randy73

Non original hoops on the bass were 2" wide when I found these so I cut them down about 1/2" and routed out the inlay channels to accept some 60s silver sparkle inlays that I had laying around. Bass had been previously cut down from 14" depth to 13" depth at some point. Non original reinforcement ring and edge were in pretty rough shape so I dressed them up and they now look and function as they should. I found this with MIJ lugs on the bass that someone drilled one extra hole per lug to install.

Absolutely beautiful set in great sizes, but with all the mods described (bass shell cut down to 13", non-original re-ring, non-original hoops, etc), any chance this bass started its life as an 18" FT? It just seems odd that someone would go through all that trouble to cut a 14" depth down to 13".

Still, the final product is just stunning, especially in solid black wrap. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

-No Guru... still learning more every day-
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the input Mike. I don't believe that it was ever a floor tom for a few reasons. I believe that these were all "born together" and I think it would be even more uncommon to have a 12" tom, 14" floor and an 18" floor together in the same set. These make more sense in the configuration that they are in from a custom order point of view.

Also, if it were a floor, it likely would have been 16" deep and by only cutting 3" off, there would be extra holes evident from the floor tom leg mounts.

My opinion (and that is all that it is) is that there was damage at some point to the outer inch of the shell and someone made a repair to keep the drum going.

But, who really knows? I think that is what keeps me interested sometimes. I love imagining what these old drums have gone through and where they have been.

For instance, I would absolutely love to know who the initials on the bass drum belonged to. Whoever it was obviously took alot of pride in his kit and wanted everybody to know that these drums belonged to him.

Again, thank you all for all of your insight, encouragement and ideas when it comes to figuring out these fun mysteries!

Posted on 8 years ago

I'm late to the party, but I wanted to say, 1. what a stroke of luck finding those, 2. Excellent job bringing them back!

As fine a set of drums as any drummer could want. Enjoy them!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here