Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

1958 Gretsch 3ply Restoration

I've almost completed the restoration of these drums. There's a few little things left to do - not much!

I finished up with the calf hide heads yesterday. I glued wood flesh-hoops to a custom fit on my toms and the batter side of the snare. I tucked American Rawhide Company white calf hides to the hoops. It turned out pretty good. I made one error and had to take a head and hoop apart and refit it because I misjudged and the tucked head would not fit into the counterhoop - good lesson learned. The repair only took about an hour from the time I took it apart until I had a new properly fitted head tucked.

SOME PIX......

The first two photos have poor lighting - sorry.

I'm clowning around in the first one - I'm a little excited about finally getting my calf-hide heads on these drums. The tucking tool you see here is an ordinary teaspoon (bent the handle a little to help push the hide in, up and around the wood flesh-hoop).

Posted on 14 years ago

Laterst photo of me & my 58 Gretsch kit.

I've decided to use a Pearl S-2000 snare stand for the rack tom - it's working better for me. I may even take the plate off the rack tom - it might open up the drum even more. The plate probably takes away some of the overall sound from the wood.

I never has so much fun playing a drum kit before. These calf hide heads are something else........great feel and awesome sound with that aged Gretsch wood.

Posted on 14 years ago

Very Nicely done! Almosty blinding! I have a new set of babies I am working on. WMP no name MIJ that will be super when I finish them. You have done a wonderful restoration there.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

Very Nicely done! Almosty blinding! I have a new set of babies I am working on. WMP no name MIJ that will be super when I finish them. You have done a wonderful restoration there.

Sounds like fun. Do you have any 'before' photos to share? You can even send some to my email address - I love stuff like this.

Posted on 14 years ago

Dig that kit, nice restoration. I like the right side ride, is that an K Istanbul?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Gre3at looking set...now how is the sound??I'm sure they sound awful!!!!;)

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 14 years ago

From backbeatkeeper

Dig that kit, nice restoration. I like the right side ride, is that an K Istanbul?

No - it's a K Zildjian 18.5 (not a common size I'm told) sizzle. That and the 14" A Zildjian hats came with the kit. The Speed King Hi-Hat and SK pedal and the Ludwig crash stand there all came in an old cardboard box with the kit. Lots of rust, dirt and grime too - haha. It was a nice surprise to see that Old Stamp on that K.

Drumbum3131:

The sound of those calf hide heads is terrible.........I play them for hours and I just can't stand the sound. I can't wait until daybreak to start playing those aweful sounding drums Yes Sir

Posted on 14 years ago

That kit is absolutely beautiful. I can only imagine how satisfying it must feel to lay some sticks into it. Wonderful.

Posted on 14 years ago

Loving those Gretsch drums, Gary.

Kevin

1978 Ludwig VistaLite - Smoke
8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x22 no matching snare... yet.

2009 Gretsch Catalina Maple - Tobacco Fade Sunburst
7x8, 8x10, 9x12, 14x14, 16x16, 18x22, 6x14
Posted on 14 years ago

From Cycledude

Loving those Gretsch drums, Gary.

Thanks

I'm loving your Ludwigs - already!

What's the history on those.........how many owners etc.? If you've already posted that I'm sorry - getting old and forgetful haha.

Gary

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here