Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

1958-1960 Premier Drums

Found these at a thrift store in Meridian, MS. :) A friend mentioned that there was a set of Gretsch drums at the thrift store. I was only in town for the day and the store was closing in 10 minutes, and I just happened to be right down the road. I raced to the store and to my disappointment the drums were some cheapies that had a Gretsch reso head priced at a ridiculous $350... but sitting right next to them was another set.. these!! It was only the kick and the tom. They clerk told me they were $75 so i jumped on them. As i was ready to pay she pulled out the matching Royal Ace Snare too sweeten the day!

Turns out they are 1958-1960 Premier.. Further research also revealed that these are not the olympic badge despite the olympic reso on the kick. Very happy.

3 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Congrats to this bargain!

The snare drum alone is more worth than the price you paid.

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

Great score!!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey! No sniping my in-state scores!

No, congratulations. Let us know how they sound once you've gotten them tuned up.

Currently playing for loud rock and roll gigs:
1982 Ludwig Classic in white Cortex, 24-13-14-18 + Coliseum snare
For quieter gigs:
Early '70s Whitehall Tiger Eye Pearl 20-12-14-14
Neglected but thinking about:
Early '70s Sonor Champions in Rosewood, 22-12-13-16
Posted on 12 years ago

Excellent!

I see the tension rods have been swapped out, the previous owner must have lost his slot head drum key.

Posted on 12 years ago

Well done - It still would have been a massive bargain on this side of the pond too!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 12 years ago

Score of the week!!!.... since the $40 Leedy outfit score is over a week old.

The Royal Ace snare drum, in my opinion, is just about the most beautiful looking snare drum ever created. They have a "modernistic-retro" look to them (discrepancy in adjectives, I know) that for me, no other snare quite captures.

Congrats on the outfit!!!

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

Congrats... you did well! I acquired my first Premier set in 1963 in Rome, replacing a Gretsch "Progressive Jazz" set that had been stolen from me.

I played a jazz piano trio gig Saturday night with my 1969 Premier"bop" set ... currently my main gigging set... using an early 60s Royal Ace 5.5x14 snare.

For me, Premiers from the 60s were as good as you could get... and better than most! And they are still!

Ron

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here