Here's a shot of my 1955 WFL/Buddy Rich Classic 51/2X14 in WMP, which as you can see is in just beautiful condition. While not overly rare, this particular one is in excellent condition.

This is the snare drum that I play with the 1948 WFL Buddy Rich Classic kit, and I have had more than a few questions about this drum and the badge. The snare that came with the kit and was also cataloged with the kit is the WFL 61/2X14, and of course that one has the ALUMINUM badge. I much prefer the sound of the 51/2X14, so I use it with this kit... Buddy wasn't a big fan of the deeper snare drums at this point either, although there is a very well known picture of him sitting down and playing JUST a WFL 61/2X14, sticks flying!

This snare drum is EXACTLY the same model as the 1948, with the only difference being that the badges are now Brass. It is an outstanding sounding drum which I must admit, surprised me a bit... simply because I'm very used to the "clarity" of the Rogers 5 ply shells. For a 3 ply shell drum, this WFL is wonderful. Very rich sounding, but still crisp with a better than good amount of articulation and focus.

Tommyp