Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

1953 Gretsch Student Kit Info?

Does anyone have more info on these drums? Just picked em up for $100. I think that is about right for their value, but I just wanted to see if anyone had more info about their construction etc.

This is what I know:

As far as I can tell, this is a student line kit from 1953 (Feb 27 1953 stamped inside of bass drum). Bass drum is made of a lighter (both in color and weight) wood with grains running around the inside (not from head to head). No rings. Inside is stamped "Feb 27 1953" and in pencil the number 243 is scribbled across the bottom.

Gretsch "Responso" snare wires, all calf heads in REALLY nice shape. Silver + Blue finish is in really nice shape as well. Looks like it was barely played. No major finish blems or cracks or anything like that.

Snare batter head is a "Radio King" head. Not sure if they got heads from Slingerland at this time or if this is a replacement. It doesn't actually say "Slingerland on the head...just "Radio King". Snare side head says "AMRAWCO STANDARD". Can't seem to find a name on the bass drum heads.

Both drums are single tension. 8 lug bass, 6 lug snare. Strainer doesn't seem to be broken in any way, but is not really functional. The tension knob is pretty much the only way to get the snares on and off the head. Seems to just be really cheaply made.

Looks to have the standard Gretsch round badges.

Clip on spurs don't say "Gretsch" anywhere. Could they be original?

-Outfit name?

-Type of wood?

-Construction?

-Value?

Like I said, I paid $100 for them, and I figure that is about what they are worth...though I do see people spend more than that on original Gretsch heads/wires/spurs/round badges in pieces on popular auction sites. Not going to part these out or anything....definitely just keeping them for my collection...just curious if anyone has any cool info.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Sorry. I forgot the sizes!

Bass Drum: 12x24

Snare Drum: 4x14

Thanks again!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Those look very nice! I doubt you'd have any trouble getting your money back.

Norm

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago

If you sell the pieces individually, you'd probably make your money back and more. Although they are RB Gretsch, student stuff isn't as nearly in high demand as the stuff with the Silver Sealer.

Pics of inside of drums would help determine the type of wood.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Totally. I am well aware of the fact that they are not real "Round Badge" Gretsch drums in the eye of a collector. I know the deal with single tension student drums being more along the lines of a model T than a 60's muscle car when it comes to collectors. That said though, they are in really nice all original shape as far as I can tell.

Not really interested in parting them out to make a couple of bucks. I mean...they made it this far in one piece. I don't want the first one to "appreciate" them to be the same one to destroy them!

More concerned with any info on their construction etc. I don't really want to take them apart and look at the edges or anything because I want to use the bass drum for a woofer in the studio and I find when you un-seat the heads you can never get them back to sounding and nice as they do when they are original.

Either way, thanks so much for the quick responses so far guys!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Wood inside is light in color. Definitely not Mahogany. Will grab a pic and post it.

Just also made out "JAN 19 1953" inside the snare.

Thanks!

-Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

Anybody else on this or am I out of luck?

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Posted on 14 years ago

1954 Gretsch catalog pages are here.

Looks like possibly the Jazz Combo kit.

Norm

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here