Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

1950sGRETSCH SNARE

Hi,

Some time ago I purchased a 1950s Gretsch Snare Shell in original Midnight Blue Pearl finish. The shell came with the original Gretsch lugs -- two rows of eight each, original muffler system, and original snare butt.

The rims that came with it were not original, nor were they die-cast. However, since I already had an original set of Gretsch die cast rims, this wasn't an issue. I've also got the "correct" Gretsch Round Badge for this one, as well as the original Gretsch Responso snare wires.

Here's my problem.............. the shell's got a total of six holes drilled into it where the strainer should be mounted. My guess is that through the years, several strainers were mounted on the shell. I've asked the Webmaster to post a pic of the hole pattern so that you can get an idea of what I'm dealing with here.

The top row of holes ( 3 each), has two smaller holes on the outside, positioned horizontally from eachother, with a larger hole between them.

The second row of holes ( 2 each) are of equal size and are also drilled horizonatally from eachother, equi-distant from the larger hole in the upper row.

The remaining hole on the bottom sits centered below the two holes in the second row.

I've got to live with the fact that the shell's got extra holes. My goal is to find a strainer (preferably Gretsch) that would fit the outer hole pattern, if possible.

The two outer holes on the top row sit APPROXIMATELY 1 1/2 across from eachother, while they're APPROXIMATELY 2 inches in length from the lone centered hole in the bottom row.

From what I've researched, neither a "Lightning" throw nor a "Micro-Sensitive" throw would fit this pattern.

Any "words of wisdom" would be greatly appreciated.

Since the original finish, hardware, die cast rims, snare butt, muffler assembly, and Responso snare wires are all in excellent shape, I'd love to keep this one together. However, if I can't resolve the strainer issue, I might be forced to part out these items and sell them as stand-alones. Obviously, I'd rather not go that route.

THANKS in advance for your time and help!Help2

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

It looks to me like the inner triangle is a microsensitive pattern, and the outer triangle is a slingerland 3 point. Have you tried lining up either of those?

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 16 years ago

It looks to me like that shell definitely had a Microsensitive strainer on it. Probably the original strainer too. The pattern for a Micro looks like a triangle:

O

o o

Using a Micro will leave all of the outside holes exposed. I know this is not aesthetically ideal, but it will probably get you closest to the original equipment on this drum. Based on the picture, I don't think that there was ever any other Gretsch strainer on this drum. The holes don't look to match correctly for a Lightning (though I could be wrong) and a Renown is a 4-point that wouldn't work for sure. I can't recall any other Gretsch strainers in use during the RB era that would fit that pattern. You could perhaps plug the extra holes and fill with wrap from another shell, or I've seen guys use grommets on extra holes too to make the appearance a bit more pleasing,

I say ask Steve Maxwell what to do (http://www.maxwelldrums.com). I think that Steve is on this forum?

Other questions I have just 'cause I'm curious and I really like midnight blue pearl Gretsch drums...

-Is it in fact a 6.5" X 14"?

-3-ply or 6-ply?

-silver or clear maple interior?

-paper tag present? if so, what #'s are visible?

-What kind of butt-piece does the drum have? (2 or 4 point, with or without tension knob, etc.)

-Is there a key holder on this drum?

Can we see some more pictures of this drum? It's certainly a rare size for Gretsch Round Badge drums!

-Chris

Posted on 16 years ago

MLVIBES: Appreciate your comments. I don't currently have either of the strainers that you've mentioned, so I haven't been able to line up either one.

GRETSCH292: In response to your questions:

1. Yes, the shell is in fact a 6.5 x 14

2. I really don't know how to tell if it's a 3 or 6-ply. Sorry!

3. Clear Maple Interior.

4. No paper tag.

5. Snare butt DOES have a tension knob.

6. No key holder on shell.

If you could provide your email address, I could send you several pictures of the drum as I purchased it (i.e., without the die-cast rims, badge, snare wires, etc.)

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here