Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1950's Red Sparkle Pearl Kit

Hi Everybody,

Here is my latest Pearl pickup a geuine no frankenstiened vintage 1950's kit with original calf hide heads (or skins as they were called ).note the badge oval slightly larger than the 60's version with straight lettering , not the script style in the oval.The rack tom mounts onto the bass drum hoop (ala 30's 40's ) , spring loaded floor tom straight legs , single flange rims alround.sizes are typical English drum sizes (Premier , John Gray ), 21 1/2 bass, 13 rack , 14 snare, 15 1/2floor tom.Bass drum has triple reiforcement hoops all others have double reinforcement hoops.I tried to replace the calf hides with palstice heads , but because the shells were so thin they started to collaps under tension .this kit was found a couple of years ago in the back of a bowling joint in Toorak Melbourne, Australia.

See ya,

Phil (Japanese drum historian downunder)

3 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

Cool! I wish I could see larger versions of those pics!Burger Kin

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Hi,

The strainer on this kit is very primative , and made from very thin metal , a friend of mine says he has seen an earlier strainer than this one , which i would say is from the very first Pearl drum kit.I will try to post some larger pictures of the kit at a later date

Cheers phil

1 attachments
Posted on 16 years ago

I was going to ask for larger pics too. Thanks man!

Isaac

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR=darkred]Nice to find such an old set in that condition. Very Cool.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]But...I believe that Pearl didn't start badging their kits with the name "Pearl" until the mid-late '60's ? That oval badge comes from the late '60's...no ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred]I had read that up until around '67...Pearl produced kits under stencil names (Apollo, Whitehall, Majestic, etc) and never under "Pearl" [/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkred](source: George Lawrence )[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here