Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

1941 Swing Sensation "Top Hat and Cane"

The story of these drums being "discovered" is noteworthy in its simplicity. A year ago I started taking drum lessons from a local teacher. I decided I needed to get a set to practice on. I knew that the relative who lives one house over and across the street still had the set of her deceased husband. She gave them to me to use for as long as I wanted. I figured I have been playing these till I could afford a good beginner set.

Then 3 and 1/2 weeks ago I googled them and found out what they were.

Since that day, I have spent a couple of weeks cleaning them and getting information about them for when I give them back to her.

The set is all original, no restoration. The set was assembled in 6-41, as all the drums have that date stamp as well as their original build dates stamped inside. The oldest stamp is on the 7X11 tom that has a 1-40 stamp. Both of the heads on the base drum are original and the all the heads on the toms appear to be the same era but have no legible stamps to assist in dating.

The stands for the floor tom, snare, hi-hat and throne are all original as is the base pedal.

The cymbals are one k-con, 3 Avedis all from 40s except the 18" ride which is a Avedis type2 tran stamp from 1950 era.

The drums all have there canvas carrying bags and the equipment box I think is also original. It comes from the "The house of Quality" located in Chicago.

About the previous owner.

Richard S "Dick" Vandenburg born on January 19, 1930, passed on 7 November 2010.

He was active in music circles his entire life, playing drums in the Boise High and Stanford University bands, all 13 Ken Hartzler musicals, Dick got to play with Gib Hochstrasser’s* renowned band at least a couple of times, and various combos performing throughout the Boise Valley.

When I asked his widow about when and how Dick got the "Top Hat" drums, she stated that she was unsure if it was through a private seller or from one of the two local music stores in the center part of Boise. She did state that he taught himself set drumming and never took classes.

One reason these drums are in such amazing shape is that boise is very arid and so little chance of rust forming and because the drums had always been kept in the house basement furnace room where the temperature was more likely to stay at one temperature all the time.

Dick headed Vandenburg Sales, an agricultural business growing apples and plums at West Wind Orchards in Ontario, Oregon.

THE FUTURE OF THESE DRUMS

I will be taking these drums back to her basement where I found them. As none of her grown children play drums these drums will probably stay stored until the death of the owner and then the children can decide it the wish to sell them.

So look on them now as they will soon go back to being "undiscovered"

*Side info

"Gib" Hochstrasser formed the Northwest's premier big dance band, "Kings of Swing" in 1974. They played in Las Vegas, Seattle, Portland, and most major locations in Idaho. They were participants in the Sun Valley "Swing 'n Dixie" Jazz Jamboree, and played at at every governor's ball since 1982 and for stars from Red Skelton to George Burns.

Posted on 6 years ago

Oh if you are wondering, the blue around the rim of the base drum head is a piece of felt that the owner had under the head for sound dampening. I left it because I wanted to keep everything as I found it. Also the snares on the snare drum also look original which was crazy and I have taken them off and set aside so that they will remain in good shape.

Posted on 6 years ago

Great job. They look like they're new. Thanks for your work.

Posted on 6 years ago

Just Incredible. Frankly, I hope you can convince the owner into contacting Steve Maxwell, as other's have suggested, so that he could consign them for her and her family. A set this special needs to have all the exposure and press it deserves. Maxwell's Drum Shop is the premier outlet for vintage drums. It is truly remarkable that no accident or incident has befallen these spectacular instruments as they sat for years in a furnace room. Please.

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 6 years ago

Donn Bennett sells more Top Hat drums than anyone.

He'd be the guy to contact, especially since he's "in the neighborhood".

Posted on 6 years ago

Super awesome!! Such a beautiful set!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

I'm moving up to Oregon by the next month. Selling my house in LA and starting a new era for Vintage Drum Bug. Ill be doing my best to try to buy this set if becomes available. Such a great set!

http://www.vintagedrumbug.com/
Cause you got the bug dont'cha?
https://www.facebook.com/VintageDrumBug
https://twitter.com/VintageDrumBug
Posted on 6 years ago

Thanks for sharing the great story, and doing right by the kit and it's owner...that's karma in the bank! I grew up in eastern Oregon (La Grande), so Boise was the nearest "civilization." Many road trips to Boise back in those years. It may have had something to do with the Idaho drinking age being 19 while it was still 21 in OR.:p

Stop stringing and tuning your instrument, make music now.
-fortune cookie

Vintage Drums:
1970ish Ludwig Standard Avocado Strata downbeat
1970ish Star Acrylic 22,12,13,16
1950’s Gretsch tympani 26.5
19?? Sonor roto-tympani 13x12
70’s Ludwig Standard alum 14x5 snare
90’s Arbiter Adv. Tuning 12x5 snare
90’s Ludwig blackrolite 14x5 snare

Modern Drums:
Erie Drums 1-ply sycamore shell kit 18,10,13
Erie 1-ply maple 14x5 snare
Tama S.L.P. Acrylic 14x6.5 snare
Posted on 6 years ago

Love the photos and the story. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on 6 years ago

Well done...great story.

Cam

"If we can't be free we can at least be cheap" -FZ
Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here