Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

1941 Slingerland Rolling Bomber

I picked up this set last year in Springfield, MO. At one time, it belonged to one of the drummers from Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Steve Canaday.

Unfortunately, Steve died in '96 while flying an experimental plane in Tennessee, and I have no way of contacting his family for any info. From the history I've found about the set, the U.S. Government allowed only 10% metal to be used in "non-essential" goods manufacturing because it was needed for military production. All the drum companies came out with wartime drums, but Slingerland led the way with the Rolling Bomber series. The lug casings are made of hand-carved Rosewood and the hoops are made of Mahogany. Almost all the heads are original calf-skin. The throne is made just like the drums, with reinforcing hoops (maple) inside. I was going to show this at a vintage drum show in Chicago this year, but time wouldn't permit.

If anyone has any additional info on these sets, feel free to write me @

[email]rollingbomber@yahoo.com[/email]

Thanks! Preston

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Now those are REAL vintage drums! Beautiful!

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Dig that tom rail ! Offset snare lugs, too...all the way back then ! Who'd'a thunk'it ?

Man, that's a time-capsule kit for sure...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Sweet kit! I've been toying with the idea of making a set like the old Rolling Bombers, or the WFL Victorious sets......replicating the tuning setup on the Victorious kits might be a challenge....

Posted on 15 years ago

That is something else.

First heard of this kit when Jay Bellerose played one on Raising Sand, Robert Plant/Alison Krauss and of course T-Bone Burnett. Toured with it too.

Just Great.

Posted on 15 years ago

Sweet kit! Calfheads? Be sure to insure that baby!

Posted on 15 years ago

I just put up a little post about Ray Mckinley and finding a piece he donated the Air Force Museum... you should make a couple calls to the new Air and Space Smithsonian Museum at Dulles in DC.. and Wright Patterson Air Force Museum in Dayton.. that would make a tremendous exhibit and would honor the aviation connection of the orignal owner... that would be some awesome karma.

That's a real piece of history!!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

That is just...magnificent. What else can I say? Wow.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, is it insane to practice?
Posted on 15 years ago

That set is beautiful! It puts most vintage drums (and most anything I've seen) to shame. I like the wartime history, too. I read somewhere that Ludwig's Zephyr lugs were made for the same reason (metal consumption). Instead of cast, they're just stamped from flat steel to save materials...it's hard to beat the rosewood, though.

Posted on 15 years ago

Odd that same drumset was posted on Craigslist San Diego yesterday for best offer (same photo)

1972 Rogers Dynasonic ultra power in New England white; 1967 Dynasonic Londoner red sparkle; 1966 Ludwig Hollywood blue sparkle; 1965 Rogers Headliner in silver sparkle; 1969 Rogers Headliner in blue sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here