Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

1940's Slingerland Radio King

Hi all! I just purchased a WMP Radio King kit. I'm trying to clean it up a bit and have been working on rust removal and I'm going to re paint the drum Hoop. It was badly peeling. It is the standard black paint with the WMP wrap. I was thinking it would look pretty to sand it down and stain it a rosewood color instead of black. My question is should I, or do I keep it black to give it it's original appearance?

I've been drumming for 25 years and own a 1966 Rogers silver sparkle kit. But trying to somewhat restore vintage drums is new to me.

I'll have more questions as I begin to embark on this project and would appreciate any input.

I was disappointed when the drums arrived that the bass drum and snare both have significant cracks in the wrap. But it still looks good considering. Another disappointment was to discover the modification that some of the past owners decided to try throughout the years. Biggest problem for me is they have the bass drum badge facing the ground. So the bass drum is upside down. Looks like the legs and the old school tom mounting mechanism holes were drilled and installed on the wrong end.. possibly trying to avoid the crack in the wrap from being visible. But I'd rather have the badge on top where it's supposed to be.. I'll be adding pictures as I go, but this was the kit before I began cleaning it up:

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/bsh06/00o0o_jco0gI53dUV_600x450.jpg

Thanks all!!

Posted on 10 years ago

Those are really nice~! Yes some of the mods done over the years hurt. But it is what it is. Once you start playing them you'll forget that and just dig on the sound they have. I don't think doing the hoops in rosewood stain is a problem at all. It's something that can be done over should you sell them down the road. And that'll look nice too. Yes post more pics when you can there's some very good Slingerland people here to ask Q's and get ideas from.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 10 years ago

Nice set. Sorry to hear about the mods the former owner did...thats a real downer.

But it is what it is, as FFR said above.

However, if it was MY set, I'd strip the old cracked wrap off, fill the holes, put everything right side up, and rewrap in a period color. Radio Kings are the Cadillacs of Drums and deserve the best treatment. You could make those drums look like the just rolled off the assembly line with some work.

Posted on 10 years ago

Thanks all! Retrosonic, I'd love to do that but I'm thinking I'm gonna have to hold off on that for a bit.. Already owning 4 drum kits 1 custom cocktail kit and now this Radio King kit, the wife will have me sleeping with those drums.. lol!

Gonna clean em up the best I can for now and see where it gets me..

I also noticed with this kit that the tom mounts were black. Is that the color they were from the factory or were they painted this way? I'm assuming they were supposed to be just metal?

Posted on 10 years ago

RK Tom mounts rusted out a lot......that's why someone painted them....

You could flip the drum around...take the Ludwig rail/cymbal mount off////put the badge at top....and put BD clip on spurs on..like it would have had anyway from the factory....

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 10 years ago

What a wonderful kit!!

The "T" rod/claw FT made my day. Those will clean up just fine. Hoops are maple, would look great with rosewood stain.

It's a PITA but the tom mount will come back to life. The nickle plate was very thin. Leaning towards just polishing the steel and clear coating mine.

Glad you aren't pulling the wrap just yet. The cracks can be blended. FFR428 is spot on. Serious mojo will boom. Holes, cracks etc.. just part of it's long life.

Sizes? More pics when you can.

Thanks!

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here