Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

1940's Ludwig 20" ???

Hello all,

I picked this shell up for cheap yesterday. The badge on it matches the badge of my 1941 Ludwig 7x14 snare drum, but this drum has a lot of "weird" going on with it and I'd like to hear everyone's input.

The shell is a 14x20 bass drum, wrapped in white marine pearl. I am not aware of seeing a 20" bass drum from the late 30s or early 40s... Looking at the badge, it doesn't appear to have been tampered with, like it was added at a later time.. but who knows. It has several aftermarket holes drilled and appears to once have had the "zephyr" lugs perhaps.

Now for the really strange.. inside the drum is a piece of wood bolted onto the interior of the shell running from front to back (see photo). This is painted the exact same color of "off white" as the entire interior of the drum. On the outside of the shell, opposite of this board, a straight seem in the wood (but not through the re-rings) is visible where the wrap once met. It's almost like this board bolted inside is an extra support for holding the drum together. This seems to be deliberate, and not a repair job.

In any event, my plan is to fill the extra holes and get it re'wrapped. The drum is about an 1/8 inch out of round, but a 20" head fits fine on it. I would like to find an "aged" white marine pearl wrap to replace it, as it would match my '41 Ludwig snare.

Any ideas what the heck is going on here? I bought the drum for less than the cost of the Ludwig badge, so if I end up scrapping it, ill sell the badge off of it and make a small profit.

Thanks in advance guys!

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 9 years ago

I believe I know what it is.

It is a cut down shell.

Used to be 26" or 28" in diameter

A section was cut out.

It is joined at the seam where the block is.

By any chance?

Do you have grommets for those badges?

Are they standard Ludwig size....... like for a keystone?

Where can I get some please?

I need some of those badges too.

Thank You

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 9 years ago

Agreed cut down.. In fact, looks like the cut out section was then used as the joiner/insert .. that accounts for the same paint.. and it was done after the paint job, hence no paint on the edges..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

You may want o try to work with this wrap. Not a lot of good choices out there for aged wmp that'll match. Cool drum.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks for your replies! I'm almost thinking of taking the wrap completely off, and then re-installing with that seam at the bottom of the drum so it isn't seen.

-Justin

"People might look at you a bit funny, but it's okay. Artists are allowed to be a bit different."- Bob Ross

"After silence, that which comes closest to expressing the inexpressible is music..." - Aldous Huxley
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here