Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

1940's Gretsch Help! Please!!

Hello, Gretsch help is needed. A local person brought 3 Gretsch drums for me to sell. We worked out a percentage split that was acceptable but I do not know much about how to approach preparing them for sale. The 14" x 26" bass drum is a 3-ply Maple but had 90%+ of it's WMP finish was falling off. When I removed the 8 lugs (Rocket) to look for damage the finish held on by the lugs fell off. I removed the remaining finish. Under the finish, is a white paint (flat) covered with spots of yellow glue. The bass has a date stamp of Nov. 1948 and all of the parts and calf head are present and in good shape. Gretsch offered a White Duco finish (lacquer). Would the drum sell for more if I were to paint it with white lacquer? Any ideas of this drum's worth as is or re-lacquered, would be appreciated. The next drum was a mounted tack bottom 14' x 12" WMP (no date stamp) with less finish loss (but still significant). The tom's 3-plies are much thinner then the bass or snare. The tom has all of it's parts but was converted to a floor tom with 3 Slingerland 1950's legs and mounts. I have not removed any of this drums finish. The snare is a 6 1/2" x 14" WMP (no date stamp) with finish cracks and smaller areas of loss. Did Gretsch use tension rods similar to Slingerland with a raised area under the collar? The snare wires (12 strands) look like Slingerland. Is this correct? The snare has the original (?) snare head. The upper head is badly ripped up. Should I sell the drum together? Should I sell the drums As-Is? Should I remove all of the finish and re-lacquer? Any ideas? How much are they worth? Thanks to anyone who can offer help! Bill

Posted on 17 years ago

I would be interested in them if you are willing to sell them..

Here my e.mail: [email]lastchild44@yahoo.com[/email]

Thanks

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here