Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

1940 Leedy Broadway lugs (cleaning/polishing)

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of a huge restoration of all our studio drums. Had a question about my 1940 Leedy Broadway Standard snare.

The wrap looks great, I cleaned it with some warm water & dish soap and now it looks brand-new except for the yellowing, which I don't mind at all. The rest of the hardware was in great shape, I used a little Meguiar's cleaner/wax on the hoops, strainer, and butt plate. All the screws are fine, and the tension rods just needed a little bit of #0000 steel wool on the threads (didn't want to risk steel wool on anything else). Lug inserts were greasy but that came right off with paper towels & 91% alcohol.

The one thing I can't figure out how to handle is the corrosion on the lugs themselves, as you can see in the photos. Are these chrome-plated? Nickel-plated? What are they made of? Doesn't seem to be steel since the magnet test doesn't work.

For other drums I'm working on, when there's real corrosion to deal with I've been using either Meguiar's or Blue Magic metal cleaner, the latter only when the lugs/hoops/etc. were really nasty. I don't mind using something abrasive on a junker 80's steel snare to get it cleaned & working, but this Leedy is a beautiful antique and I don't want to risk messing it up.

What do you think? I might just start with dish soap & water, or Simple Green, and see what that does.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on 8 years ago

I can't tell by the pics if they are nickel or chrome...My guess would be nickel, but, I will leave that for the more knowledgeable to chime in...

Cape Cod cloths work great on nickel...Or, I use a product called NeverDull on chrome...Either/or should work on them...

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 8 years ago

I have good luck with Flitz polish with nickel.

Posted on 8 years ago

Welcome to the Forum!

Look nickel over pot metal to me. Hence the magnet doesn't stick.

If mine would just scrub with a micro-fiber towel hot water and a tad bit of Dawn dish soap. Rinse, dry, then polish with Aluminum mag wheel compound. 99% Isopropyl Alcohol to remove polish residue. Wax and you are done. Here be some Slingerland nickel almost finished.

Creighton

1 attachments
Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Creighton, those claws look awesome!

I soaked 'em in Dawn & hot water for a couple hours to get the dirt off, dried them off then polished with Meguiar's liquid cleaner/wax, buffed with a microfiber towel.

Pictures included below of before (on the left) & after. You can see from the "after" shot that all that tarnish on the sides of the lugs is gone now.

Should I do a final waxing? What would you guys use, something like Turtle wax?

2 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago

Thanks. Those look great!.

Wax is up to you. It will add a layer of protection and some shine. I use Mequiars QuikWax. Anything that drys to a powder is a pain to get out of nocks and crannies.

Creighton

Nothing special here but I like them.
Posted on 8 years ago

Ended up just doing another round of buffing and then put her back together. The less I need to do, the better.

Here's a photo of the finished job. Set up with a Remo Vintage A on the batter side, and an Ambassador Hazy on the snare side. Puresound Custom Pro 20-strand snare wire.

1 attachments
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here