Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1940 Autographs of The Stars

This is a beautiful & very rare Leedy Autographs of the Stars drum set. The sizes are 9X13, 12X14, 14X28 & 8X14 Broadway Parallel snare. The shells are stamped 4007 & 7-40. The toms have clear interiors with the 7 -40 stamp (and each tom has a 2nd stamp the 13" has 40 - 2 & 40 4). The bass drum & the snare have white interiors with the 4007 stamp.

These drums have a couple special features that are different from other Autograph of the Stars sets or drums that I have seen pictures of on the internet. The first difference is that most of the Autograph toms I have seen are single tension drums with tacked bottoms. These are all double tensioned drums. The second difference is that the stars on this drum are actually gold glass sparkle, there is a gold glass under wrap that is overlaid by a thin blue colored plastic wrap with the stars being left clear and that is overlaid with another thin clear plastic wrap which has the autographs stenciled on the underside of the wrap so as to protect them. The stars on the normal Autograph drums are a solid white color. The finish has a 3 dimensional look and the blue is a darker color than what is commonly found on Autograph drums. I found a catalog page from the early 1940's where it mentions that these drums can be purchased with a "Full Dress" upgrade - which is what I think they are.

This drum set has been in my home state of Michigan for many years and I was the fortunate person to become the 3rd owner since the 1980's. Hopefully it will stay here for a few more years!

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

Mike, outstanding just outstanding, Wow !!!!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 11 years ago

Truly.!!! what this forum is all about.

I love these drums.

I believe the autographs are from famous drummers, not movie stars.

Is that right?

More pics please sir.

Thank You

sa

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Thanks to Mr. Jerry Jenkins
Posted on 11 years ago

Wow!

Just.....WOW!

There's just something about the Autograph sets (And Ludwig's Top Hat and Cane to some degree) that tug my heart strings.

Fantastic set.

absolutely gorgeous.

No more beards!
Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks Mark, Green Glass & Richie!

Yes the autographs are of various musicians & Leedy endorsers mostly drummers but there are others too. And yes I agree that the Autograph & Top Hat drum sets have special appeal, they represent the zenith of the big band era.

I will try to get some more pictures up later when I can shrink them down to fit the file limits. Here are a couple that I did shrink along with a video of my friend (who is a guitar player with a drumming background) playing the set with a top hat snare.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csTnW1quwLM[/ame]

1 attachments
Posted on 11 years ago

From Richie

Wow!Just.....WOW!There's just something about the Autograph sets (And Ludwig's Top Hat and Cane to some degree) that tug my heart strings.Fantastic set.absolutely gorgeous.

I feel the same way.

Autographs, TH and Canes, or THC, conjure up great memories that I never had.

Big Bands, Quality workmanship, Showmanship

Perhaps an elegance missing today.

BTW, I am building a THC tribute kit.

Hardware quest is almost complete. See progress pic.

Always love the pics of Auto's and THC's.

Thanks Man

1 attachments
BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Posted on 11 years ago

From green glass drum

I am building a THC tribute kit.

I can not wait to see this!!

I think what gets me about the Autograph (and THC) sets is that you have to be close to it to see what it really is.

Unlike, say, the "Full Dress" pearls, I can't imagine anyone in the audience back then saying, "Look! Way up there, on the bandstand, in the back....that's a Leedy Autograph set!"

It's almost like it's "The Drummer's" finish.

..and again...that's just a great looking kit.

No more beards!
Posted on 11 years ago

Here are some more pictures of the autograph set that I shrunk down...

Posted on 11 years ago

Thanks for the pics.

So, is the gold glitter wrap under the green where the stars are?

Complete key holder with key too!

Stunning!

I never knew about these sets until I joined this forum.

Thanks Again.

sa=ggd

BLAEMIRE DRUMS
Posted on 11 years ago

A great, unique kit...I love it!

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here