Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

1937 LEEDY 6.5 x 14 ORIENTAL PEARL BROADWAY PARALLEL MODEL

Hi,

It’s been a while, just finished a major home remodel so the dust has literally settled and I’m back. I got this drum back in December 2021 from my good friend Steve Maxwell. It’s an all original time capsule of a great era in vintage snare drums.

1937 LEEDY 6.5 x 14 ORIENTAL PEARL BROADWAY PARALLEL MODEL

THE SHELL:

Collectors know this finish by two names; Ludwig & Ludwig and Slingerland named it Abalone Pearl and Leedy chose to name it Oriental Pearl. Per Rob Cook’s DRUM COLORS BOOK this finish was around from 1934-37. The internal date stamp is 3706 (June 1937) so this is near the end of the production run of Oriental Pearl for Leedy. The OP finish was in excellent condition although someone tried to polish the finish with the heads and hardware attached so there was a lot of left over schmutz under the heads and behind the hardware, no big deal as the shell cleaned up and polished up nicely. The white interior was very clean with a clean date stamp. The badge grommet was tight.

THE HARDWARE:

The nickel plated hardware was in very good shape and only needed a minor cleaning and polishing. Leedy had a number of parallel mechanism versions from the 1920s through the 1930s. The mechanism on this drum is the 2nd version of the 2nd generation of Leedy parallel strainers. The mechanism is smooth and the self-aligning snares are all there and straight. Now for a little geek-a-tron minutia: As you can see in the photo there are 4 screws on the exterior that attach both sides of the parallel mechanism to the shell, but the top two screws have washers and the bottom two do not and to add to the mystery, the top two screws are different than the bottom two screws and finally, the top two screw holes are drilled differenly than the bottom two screw holes. I talked to my good friend and fellow collector Bill Wanser (Olympic Drums & Percussion) and he has also seen this same occurrence on his and other Leedy Broadway Parallel snare drums. Also a special thanks to Bill for helping me to identify what version of parallel strainer I have. The calf heads (metal flesh hoops) look to be original or at least of-the-era to the drum. I’ve also added a photo of an earlier version (Broadway Dual version 1) of an Oriental Pearl Broadway Dual Model (thank you Mark Cooper).

Enjoy!

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago

4 more...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago

Hi Mike!

Wow, just a stunning drum! I took the liberty of reorienting the pictures so our members won't have to strain their necks! Hope you don't mind.

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

And two more!

-Mark

Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks Mark...

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago

Thank you to both Mike and Mark, Wow !!! what awesome drums.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 2 years ago

GEEEEZ! Cool drums and what a cool finish! In all honesty, I don't understand how you do it, Mike. It's like your collection comes from a different planet because no one ever sees these drums except when you post something. I don't think I've ever had any other reaction than amazement to viewing your collection.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Thanks for the kind words...I have more coming!

Mike Curotto

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here