Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.65971%

1936 8x14 SLINGERLAND ABALONE PEARL BERNIE MATTISON MODEL RK

HI,

2009 marks a few milestone for me; this Nov. is my 46th year of teaching drumset and my 50th year of playing drums and on Dec. 23rd I turn 60 years old. So I can't think of a better way to celebrate then to buy myself a snare drum!

1936 Slingerland 8x14 Abalone Pearl Bernie Mattison Model Radio King

I purchased this drum from our friend and fellow collector Rich Kalinsky. We had been discussing this drum since the 2009 Chicago Show and we just did the deal.

This drum has definitely been played but everything has aged quite nicely. I am not usually an 8x14 fan but 8 inches of Abalone Pearl will sway me everytime.

This drum is a very early Radio King that followed the short-lived Broadcaster Model. The shell is in great shape but can you imagine what this shell looked like with all of the reds, blues, greens, yellows, purples and oranges of yesteryear? Still, a good looking 73 year old drum. This is a 3-piece mahogany shell that is listed in the 1936 Slingerland catalog as the Bernie Mattison Model Radio King.

The nickel hardware is all original and shows its age but everything still polished up nicely. The hardware is identical to the Broadcaster Model hardware that pre-dates the Radio King Model. The 8 lugs are the tapped (non-insert) Streamlined lugs that were introduced in 1936. We all know that Ludwig & Ludwig and Slingerland were fierce competitors and arch rivals, so I pose this question for all of you to cogitate on: Who came out with the tapped (non-insert) lug first, Ludwig & Ludwig (Imperial lug) or Slingerland (Streamlined lug)? I say Ludwig & Ludwig. Either way it is somewhat amusing that whoever came up with this lug first, influenced the other company and consequently both lugs were mistakes, ergo, the addition of the lug insert.

A special thanks goes to Bill Wanser for helping me to date and identify this drum.

I know the economy is just starting to recover so please keep my birthday presents under 500.00...enjoy!

Mike Curotto

Posted on 14 years ago

Yeah, Mike. You need another snare drum.

Happy pre-birthday!

P.S. Cool drum!

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Very very nice Mike!! and Happy Early Birthday!

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

SWEET!

Happy B-Day!

My BD is this month. The blond one who must be obeyed (my wife) decided to get me a Ludwig Black Beauty! Yippie!

The only 8 inch snare I have is a Slingerland concert snare. 15 X 8. It'll move you with a rim shot...

I'm afraid I'd be worried about thumping your new snare, though!

fishwaltz
Posted on 14 years ago

Who came out with the tapped (non-insert) lug first, Ludwig & Ludwig (Imperial lug) or Slingerland (Streamlined lug)?

Well.. that is an interesting question. What fun to dig around that for awhile!!

I think you are right Ludwig & Ludwig would logically have been looking for a way to regain some traction after the disasterous banjo wars with Slingerland and the rise to prominance of Slingerland Musical Instrument Manufacturing Mfg. Co. taking away the drum business.

That said... it would appear Slingerland was in a very innovative posture around the period with the introduction of electric guitars and steel lap guitars... so maybe they were into trying new stuff to meet their rising and varied production demands.

Geez... Slingerland was on top of the world!!

Good question.. thanks for the fun, and of course.... Happy (early) Birthday!:D

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here