Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

1931 Ludwig Pioneer

Recently "restored" Ludwig Pioneer. The shell was really dirty and sticky, but it cleaned up well with mild soap & water then several coats of Minwax funiture wax. Had to re-glue the reinforcing rings in several places and grind off some sloppy glue from previous repairs (see the before pic). Got period correct lug mounting screws from Ace Hardware and washers from an internet vendor. Everything is original or period correct except the heads (now Remo Renaissance) and the snare throw-off. Until I can find a reasonably priced P-338 (fat chance!) I have installed a P-80, its the right size and looks similar to the P-338. I made an adapted plate so I didn't have to drill new holes in the shell. I have the original no-flange top hoop with the Ludwig Pioneer logo engraved on it. I haven't got the no-flange hoop for the snare side to match so I installed a pair of 1920s single flanged hoops that were chrome plated in the 1960s (I know, they should only be nickel plated). I believe that Ludwig put the single flange hoops on the Pioneer in 1932, albeit with 8 lugs.

Gary G.
1963 Ludwig Gold Sparkle Hollywood Kit
Ludwig Collection: 10 Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Customized Vintage Snare Drums, 4 Vintage Foot Pedals, 1 Single Value Bugle
Posted on 14 years ago

BEAUTY! Very nice job. I love to see these old drums come back to life.

Posted on 14 years ago

Excellent restro job, it's a great looking snare drum!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Very nice restore!

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here